Feedback for professional work

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Feedback for professional work

Postby TerraLavoro » 20 Sep 2016, 18:20

Since many of the board members have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation for their work and expertise, I think it would make this board a richer experience if there was a place to comment on the work of the professionals that are here "for-hire".

Seems like fair game, especially since this forum is a source for clients for many who post here. (I have personally hired and and commented on the work product that I have contracted for on occasion.)

Wonder what the reaction to this would be. Seems like it would be a productive endeavor....think a free genealogy "Angie's List". On one hand, it would provide reassurance to newbies who are contemplating making a hire...and help to lead them to the right person, on another it could open a door to unsubstantiated complaints....but after all, it is a blog.
TerraLavoro

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Feedback for professional work

Postby VotM » 20 Sep 2016, 21:26

Of a less specific nature, one thing I'd be interested in seeing is people's experiences regarding the time between first contact and obtaining a quote. Or, alternately, between establishing the scope of work and a first report on findings.
LDS Gioiosa Marea "road map" post at
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... logy/33808

LDS Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea "road map" post at
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 50#p239255

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Feedback for professional work

Postby kencwalker » 21 Sep 2016, 00:19

TerraLavoro wrote:Since many of the board members have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation for their work and expertise, I think it would make this board a richer experience if there was a place to comment on the work of the professionals that are here "for-hire".
Wonder what the reaction to this would be.

TerraLavoro, I don't know if "many of us have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation". However, it's an interesting proposal. You captured the challenge: "could open a door to unsubstantiated complaints." What you're talking about is more than a blog. It's more like Ebay's buyer/seller feedback. Negative feedback can be very damaging to a seller (way more than positive feedback is helpful).

My thoughts:
Several members contribute HOURS of their time as a service to the group. We are all better researchers from their advice. I'd hate to see their reputations sullied by negative feedback from a newbie rant. So, the forum owners should move carefully and deliberately.

That said, it could work with some guidelines (like Ebay has for dealing with disputes):
1) It should be a separate forum.
2) "Professional members" should have the option to allow feedback on their services (or not).
3) If a post turns into a shouting match, a moderator can "lock" the topic.
4) If a post contains unsubstantiated complaints, a member can ask that it be deleted (after a moderator reviews both sides of the situation).

And, I'd pay some $$$ to someone if they can find Carlo Cantoia in the 1920 Census. :)
(Heck, I might pay if they can find him in the 1930 census - that was a HARD search!)

Those are my initial thoughts.
Regards,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”