"recent" civil birth records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

"recent" civil birth records

Postby kencwalker » 23 Sep 2016, 18:44

I'm looking for feedback regarding civil birth records in the 1910-1920 time frame. Based on other threads, I assume all births were recorded, even if the mother or father was not identified.

My previous research was the 1866-1910 era for ancestors in Cavaglio d'Agogna & Fontaneto d'Agogna (Novara) in FamilySearch records. I've found all family members, including some I didn't know existed. The only challenges were the usual handwriting and language issues, and a few mixed up names.

Now I'm faced with a bigger challenge: not finding any record for 2 births: one in 1912 and the other in 1917. The 1912 birth is an illegitimate child (father unknown). Despite the social stigma, I assumed the birth is recorded somewhere. Given the mother and grandparents (who raised the child) lived in Cavaglio, I thought I'd at least find a Parte II entry (and didn't). Any suggestions where else I should look? Unfortunately, her marriage occurred in 1931, so no online records to check.

The 1917 birth is more of a research project. An Italian cyclist who won a few stages on the Tour de France shares a common last name with some ancestors. He's from Fontaneto d'Agogna, so there there's a possibility of a family relationship. I'd hoped to research his family to see if there's a connection. Again, no birth record in his stated town of birth.

So, should I keep looking -- are all births recorded somewhere?
Thanks, -Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

ray1955
Elite
Elite

Re: "recent" civil birth records

Postby ray1955 » Yesterday, 16:53

I would think the local catholic church would have record regardless since civil records were started around 1809 and in some regions quit using civil records until they started using them again but the catholic church would still record the birth and baptisms. Just a suggestion.........

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: "recent" civil birth records

Postby suanj » Yesterday, 18:08

Now I'm faced with a bigger challenge: not finding any record for 2 births: one in 1912 and the other in 1917. The 1912 birth is an illegitimate child (father unknown). Despite the social stigma, I assumed the birth is recorded somewhere. Given the mother and grandparents (who raised the child) lived in Cavaglio, I thought I'd at least find a Parte II entry (and didn't). Any suggestions where else I should look? Unfortunately, her marriage occurred in 1931, so no online records to check.

Hi,
by my experience I can say you, that rarely the town where the foundling was raised and lived is the same where he was born... he was born in some Commune in the area.... hoping helpful...
Best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”