Suggestions for a search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Suggestions for a search

Postby demari18 » 25 Sep 2016, 17:44

I have been searching for my husband's grandfather Luigi Lorenzo for several years without any luck. On his death record his father was listed as Giacomo Lorenzo and his mother as Angela Zarrone. All I know about them is that perhaps they lived in Teano as that was where Luigi was born. I have various birth years for Luigi from 1867 to 1871. Also I have seen the spelling of Laurenzo also. Any suggestions as to how I might find records for Luigi's parents. Thank you very much. Demari

Re: Suggestions for a search

Postby kencwalker » 25 Sep 2016, 19:17

Before searching in Italy, it's best to collect as much info as you can from US records.
For example, do you have any immigration or naturalization info?
Have you looked at Ellis Island ship manifests for find Luigi, Giacomo or Angela Lorenzo?
Manifests after 1902 (or so) have last residence (and may help confirm birth city).

Have you looked for naturalization records (Declaration of Intention and/or Petition for Citizenship)?
Naturalization documents have a lot of useful info, including Giacomo and Angela's marriage info if Giacomo naturalized.
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

Postby suanj » 25 Sep 2016, 21:55

Visit my website:

Postby adellagreca » 28 Sep 2016, 03:05

I have no link to the Teano civil records. Therefore, I am not able to confirm or check my thinking. If Luigi was born after 1866 in the Teano records you should be able to find a birth certificate which will include Luigi's parents names. Also, towns used to keep records of marriage and marriage announcements. Both of these should include the names of Luigi's parents as well as his wife's parents. Therefore, I would look into those records as well. Lastly, once you know Luigi's parents' names you could search the Teano death certificates which could give you also the names of Luigi's grandparents. In the 1800's most people lived and died in the same town. If they moved, typically it was no more than a few miles for work or marriage.
Good Luck

Return to “Italian Genealogy”