ancestor birth-place unknown

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
manhattanmac5

ancestor birth-place unknown

Postby manhattanmac5 » 12 Oct 2016, 21:21

Hi everyone.

GGF was thought to have hailed from Sava, Italy, as my GGM wrote this on her petition for naturalization. But like so many other "facts" in this epic search, it proved to not be reliable. Bummer. The Italian authorities sent me a note saying there were "No records found".

How else can I pin down his birth place? I've got a NYC death cert. request out, and their marriage records (Italy) out as well. Maybe they will shed some light. Also, I have a USCUS index search request out, too; maybe he Declared at some point and wrote his birth place on it.

Anyway, feeling deflated today because of the news.

Thanks everyone
MacNeill

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: ancestor birth-place unknown

Postby Italysearcher » 17 Oct 2016, 15:06

I requested a birth record once for Nicola ...... and gave a full birth date. The town wrote me back that there was no record.
Eventually, I learned that his correct name was Norino.... but that in America he was always Nicola. When I requested again with the correct name I got the record.
Some towns are VERY PICKY and sometimes you have to know how to formulate the request
If GGM was from Sava it doesn't follow that her husband was. Do you have his immigration record?.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 17 Oct 2016, 15:55

What was Pasquale Giordano birth year and his wifes name did they settle in NYC
Where did you send Sava province Salerno or Sava province Taranto

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

manhattanmac5

Postby manhattanmac5 » 17 Oct 2016, 21:30

Hi Marty and Ann~

They did indeed settle in NYC, after a few years in Pennsylvania. You were wise to ask about WHICH Sava because I learned there is Sava in Apulia, and there is "Sava di Baronissi" in Campania. Shoot, I wish I knew that. He was born in 1880 according to her Petition for Naturalization, but several dates on that are incorrect.

On his death record in NYC, and on more than one American census, he is listed as "Patsy", short for Pasquale. Do the consulates sweat this detail? I honestly cannot understand why on earth you would use a nickname on a US Census or the Medical Examiner on a death certificate!

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 18 Oct 2016, 02:25

Here you go from the Salerno military registration archives which goes by birth year he was born in Baronissi province of Salerno year was off

Nome: Pasquale Giordano
Year of birth: 1879

Town of birth: Baronissi

Full text: Pasquale Giordano di Domenico Giordano and Teresa Donnaiacovo born March 7 1879

Brother of Pasquale
Nome: Carmine Giordano
Classe: 1881

Comune di nascita: Baronissi

Full text: Carmine Giordano di Domenico Giordano and Teresa Donnaiacovo nato il 11/15/1881 a Baronissi di professione muratore

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”