re: italian citizenship questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re: italian citizenship questions

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 30 Oct 2016, 16:04

my father was 1st generation italian american. both his parents were born in italy(father in avellino & mother in messina). neither were citizens at the time of his birth. his father never became a citizen and his mother only did many years later. would he have had dual citizenship? and would any of this apply to me,the 2nd generation(my mother was canadian french)? just curious

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: re: italian citizenship questions

Postby kencwalker » 31 Oct 2016, 14:54

Buongiorno mezzogiorno62,
Assuming you meant "neither were US citizens at the time of his birth" (they did not naturalize), then yes, you should be eligible for Italian citizenship.
Italy only recognizes citizenship by birth (jus sanguinis), so you have to demonstrate a continuous unbroken line of children born with an Italian father (or mother after 1948).
Your grandfather's children were eligible for Italian citizenship, and therefore their children (his grandchildren), assuming no one renounced their Italian citizenship.
Regards,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Re: re: italian citizenship questions

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 31 Oct 2016, 15:29

thanks. i figured my dad would have been eligible,as neither parent was a citizen at the time of his birth. my grandfather took out 1st papers but never naturalized. my grandmother did naturalize many years later. i didnt think it would continue down to me,the 2nd generation and only half italian. interesting.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”