Teresa Fusco, Cava Cava de'Tirreni - Pasquale Carratu

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ClaireLHV

Teresa Fusco, Cava Cava de'Tirreni - Pasquale Carratu

Postby ClaireLHV » 01 Nov 2016, 05:06

Looking for information on my great grandmother, Teresa Carratu nee Fusco. Died 15 December 1928 in Cava de Tirreni in Campania. She had 6 children with her husband, Pasquale Carratu and after her death he moved to South Africa with the children in about 1930.

I think they lived in Cava de Tirreni. Their daughters names were Rosa, Lucia, Maria Luisa, Nanetta. and their sons were Antonio and Vincent.

I have heard that Teresa was born into an aristocrat family and was disowned after marrying her husband who was a commoner.

I can't find information on Pasquale either.

Thanks, Claire

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Teresa Fusco, Cava Cava de'Tirreni - Pasquale Carratu

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Nov 2016, 00:31

Here is an immigration index card for Vincent Carratù to Rio di Janiero - with photo :-)
It lists his parents as Pasquale and Teresa Carratù.
It lists his birthplace as Naples in 1906, and his nationality as South African
Last place of residence is Regents Park - Johanneburg.
His minor children are listed. I do not see a wife's name.

AND... another

EDIT TO ADD***
It appears that when Pasquale left with his children in February 1930, they were bound for South Africa. Vincent traveled to South America on a temporary basis (as above cards state) as an interpreter in the late 1940s.

Here is the ship manifest for Pasquale Carratù and his children. Sailing on the Edinburgh Castle from Southampton, England. Pasquale is age 52, and lists his occupation as a miner. Vincent is not listed on this manifest.

Online records and microfilmed records for Cava de Tirreni do not appear to be available.
Here is another thread about the Comune which also gives an address to write to request a birth and/or marriage record for Teresa Fusco.
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... taly/20325

T.

ClaireLHV

Re: Teresa Fusco, Cava Cava de'Tirreni - Pasquale Carratu

Postby ClaireLHV » 02 Nov 2016, 07:19

Thank you for this. I do have Vincent's visa copy for South America too. But thank you for the ship details as this is new. I know pasquale died in Johannesburg in the 1960's and I'll ask the commune thread for details on Teresa's birth certificate in Italy. Regards, Claire

Return to “Italian Genealogy”