WW1 War Hero great grandfather info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
misswordsalad

WW1 War Hero great grandfather info

Postby misswordsalad » 14 Nov 2016, 01:16

Hi,

I remember my late nana telling me that her father, Nicolino Muratore (of Petticiato / Civitavecchia) was a war hero in WW1. She told me he rescued 40,000 men in the Alps and received the highest honour. Nobody in my family seem to have any more information than that and I've made it my mission to find out the story! Is there anybody who would know how I go about finding this out please? I'm hoping to turn the story into a musical art project.
Thanks!
Francesca

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: WW1 War Hero great grandfather info

Postby Italysearcher » 19 Nov 2016, 22:31

There are military archives in Rome you can write to for his Foglio matricolare. Give his birthdate and father's name.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: WW1 War Hero great grandfather info

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Nov 2016, 19:27

misswordsalad wrote:Hi,

I remember my late nana telling me that her father, Nicolino Muratore (of Petticiato / Civitavecchia) was a war hero in WW1. She told me he rescued 40,000 men in the Alps and received the highest honour. Nobody in my family seem to have any more information than that and I've made it my mission to find out the story! Is there anybody who would know how I go about finding this out please? I'm hoping to turn the story into a musical art project.
Thanks!
Francesca

Welcome to the forum, Francesca :-)

Did you mean Petacciato?
This town would be in Province of Campobasso (Molise) (unlike Civitavecchia, which is in the Metropolitan city of Rome (Lazio))

Do you know which would be his place of birth? Do you have an approximate year of birth?

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”