Cascio La Mariana vs. LoCascio?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carogers

Cascio La Mariana vs. LoCascio?

Post by carogers »

Greetings!
With help from the experts here, I was able to find my paternal grandfather as well as his parents and grandparents. I've always known my family name as "Locascio". However, on all the church records in Chiusa Sclafani, the family surname is listed as Cascio La Mariana. I'm thinking that Locascio was assumed in the U.S. as a shortened version of the name? Would anyone have any ideas on the reason for this change? The origin of Cascio La Mariana?
If I may ask a second question....I've found baptism records for my grandfather and great-grandfather from Chiusa Sclafani. How could I find more information on my second great-grandfather? I know he was Joseph Cascio La Mariana, married to Maria Cavlieri. Since my great-grandfather was born in 1861, I can only assume that Joseph was born 20-30 years earlier.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Carl
Louisiana
rp76226
Master
Master

Re: Cascio La Mariana vs. LoCascio?

Post by rp76226 »

I have Cascio family (different comune, in Sicily) and some of the older generations are Lo Cascio on the civil records. Lo in Italian translates to 'the'. Church records especially use a preface before the surname, often di (of), referring to the family of. Sometimes the birth record has the lo or di surname preface, but the later death record drops it.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There were so many Cascio with the same first name in the town of Chiusa Sclafani so to distinguish between the branch lines in records they adapted La Mariana and la Ingungio and other double names to keep them straight just look at how many Giuseppe Cascio there are in the records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Santa

Post by Santa »

I just came across your post. My grandmother, Veronica Cascio La Mariana, (1884-1948) was born in Chiusa Sclafani. Her father was Antonio Cascio La Mariana, and her mother was Rosalia Lipari. Rosalia’s mother was Veronica Giammancheri. Anyway, a few years I went to Sicily and visited Chiusa Sclafani, even meeting some Cascios.