Ancestry v. Other Genealogy sites

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ms_mary58
Rookie
Rookie

Ancestry v. Other Genealogy sites

Postby ms_mary58 » 30 Nov 2016, 14:19

First, I want to say that the members of this group have been extremely helpful to me in tracing my family history. Many key questions were answered by people who donate their time to this cause, and I for one am extremely thankful.

Currently, I have a World Explorer membership with Ancestry, and I must say that I have been disappointed with it. The members seem to be primarily from the US and Canada, and, while I have discovered some clues, and even connected with an unknown 1st cousin through Ancestry DNA, there was not much new information available, and that which was available was often questionable at best. I have recently begun to transfer my tree to FamilySearch.org.

My question is, is there an ancestry type program that is actually used by people in Italy? I know there is an Italian version of Ancestry, but access to this is not included with the World Explorer membership.

Thanks for any info provided.
Mary

C_Artale
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ancestry v. Other Genealogy sites

Postby C_Artale » 01 Dec 2016, 01:39

I use MyHeritage. I have found ancestors of my family within member trees created by site members located in Italy.
Surnames of interest:
Artale, Minincleri, Cattat (Accattato), Manfredi, Licetti, Durso, Pizzuto

ms_mary58
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ms_mary58 » 02 Dec 2016, 01:08

I use MyHeritage. I have found ancestors of my family within member trees created by site members located in Italy.

Thanks! I will check it out.

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VotM » 02 Dec 2016, 02:12

C_Artale wrote:I use MyHeritage. I have found ancestors of my family within member trees created by site members located in Italy.

Just tried out the library edition at my local FHC and found one of the branches of my family that still lives in Sicily. The tree was created by a resident of my grandfather's home town. A very pleasant surprise! I'll have to look into the other tools that are available on the site to tell how worthwhile subscribing might be.
LDS Gioiosa Marea "road map" post at
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... logy/33808

LDS Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea "road map" post at
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 50#p239255

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 03 Dec 2016, 03:21

Helpful and Free URLs for Ancestry Research can be found on this link which is a photo gallery on my website dedicated to Ancestry research.because these are photos, not documents, you cannot click on the links. I have documents of them, but this website limits replies to only 9 URLs and there are many more than that.

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-CdMGg8/

Return to “Italian Genealogy”