BONGHI FAMIGLIA DA TROIA (FG) / BANGO & BONGO FAMILY IN

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: BONGHI FAMIGLIA DA TROIA (FG) / BANGO & BONGO FAMILY

Post by suanj »

Hi sure your ancestor was Dominick and no Joseph.. I think that the first name was mistaken, in fact I wrote so: "Joseph(?) ".. You write in Troia and sure you will have the certificate .. they will reply you around 20 or 30 days.. many regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

hello everyone - It's been some time since I've posted a message regarding my ggrand father dominic bango... But I might have found some new information regarding him. I have a copy of my grandpa's (Joseph) birth certificate which i stated in previous posts he was born in Nov 1924. Well on his birth certificate that was issued from when he was in WW2 - it says his father is dominic bango age 30. So dominic was 30 when my grandpa was born in 1924 - thus Dominic must have been born in 1894.

This morning I found a site that offers a free search of New York and BOSTON passanger lists from mid 1800s to mid 1900s. Anyway, all my previous passanger research i was doing through ellis island. I searched the Boston one for Dom* Bongo (bongo was used on his WW1 draft card in previous posts) and the first result that came back was for a :

Domenico Bango
Arrival Date: 22 Apr 1913
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Noris Pasquale
Last Residence: United States of America
Microfilm Roll Number: 192

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... id=1629930

Here is the link to the image - I can't really read what is written to the right hand side. He is on line #23. Although it doesn't look like it says Troia for the last city/town of residence.. Any thoughts?

- brandon
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Per the manifest you listed for Domenico Bango was 19 years old, he left his Uncle Domenico Bango in Mirabella, Itay. Domenico (19year old) was born im Mirabella, which is stated on the 2nd page. And Domenico is going to go see his Uncle Pasquale Masrello (not sure of spelling) at 42 Prince Street in Boston, MA.

The Family History Center does have microfilm for the town of Mirabella. On the film you can find copies of the birth, marriage, and death acts of your ancestors. The film costs about $5.75 a roll. Here is the link for the film numbers.

click here

Here is the address in case you want to write for records directly from Italy.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Mirabella Eclano
Corso Umberto I
83036 Mirabella Eclano AV
ITALY

Here is a link by ICC that will help you translate your letter into Italian .

click here

Here is the official website of the town
click here

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Ok, well this may not be him then. Although the dates appear to match up correctly - I have never heard of any relatives in boston or the surname masrello. Nor have I heard of the town Mirabella Eclano - only Troia and Foggia.

Anyway - I am sending for Dominic's death certificate today. So hopefully that will answer some questions . Thanks for your respond trish.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

bbango wrote:Ok, well this may not be him then. Although the dates appear to match up correctly - I have never heard of any relatives in boston or the surname masrello. Nor have I heard of the town Mirabella Eclano - only Troia and Foggia.

Anyway - I am sending for Dominic's death certificate today. So hopefully that will answer some questions . Thanks for your respond trish.
Hi Again,

Since you mention Troia, the Family History Center does have microfilm for the town of Troia. Here is the link for the film numbers which goes from 1809-1929

click here

Here is the address in case you want to write for the records directly.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Troia
Via Regina Margherita, 70
71029 Troia FG
ITALY

Here is the official website of the town
click here

Maybe the Death Certificate or the Naturalization Records could shed some light for you.

Keep us posted to how you make out.
Trish
ITALY
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

So I found the cemetery and tombstone of my ggrandfather, dominic bango. I wrote to the town's historical centre asking for information.

They told me that dominic was born in 1894 and died in 1941 (dates on his tombstone).. but they said they were unable to find an obituary for him. I think that is kinda weird - but they said he might not of lived there and was just brought back for burial. I'm not sure...

I'm still waiting to receive his death certificate from the vital records of PA. just wanted to update everyone..

Thanks for all the help!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

bbango wrote:So I found the cemetery and tombstone of my ggrandfather, dominic bango. I wrote to the town's historical centre asking for information.

They told me that dominic was born in 1894 and died in 1941 (dates on his tombstone).. but they said they were unable to find an obituary for him. I think that is kinda weird - but they said he might not of lived there and was just brought back for burial. I'm not sure...

I'm still waiting to receive his death certificate from the vital records of PA. just wanted to update everyone..

Thanks for all the help!
Hi Again,

I have to ask what cemetery was he buried in? Where in PA did he live? Did you try for his Naturalization records?

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Hey Trish,

He is buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. As far as I know, this is where I thought he lived while in PA once he started having kids - but as there is no obituary for him in Punxy, then maybe not.

No i haven't got his Naturalization records - how can I go about getting that?

(Still waiting for his death certificate - do you know how long it usually takes to receive that?)

Thanks! - brandon
Surnames: Bonghi/Bongo/Bango - Strano - Sebastiani - Polito - Serge - Benigni - Micale - Mondi
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

bbango wrote:Hey Trish,

He is buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. As far as I know, this is where I thought he lived while in PA once he started having kids - but as there is no obituary for him in Punxy, then maybe not.

No i haven't got his Naturalization records - how can I go about getting that?

(Still waiting for his death certificate - do you know how long it usually takes to receive that?)

Thanks! - brandon
HI Brandon,

Did he die in Pennsylvania? If you sent for his record to New Castle, Pennsylvania, then you should get the death certificated withine 3 weeks. If you sent it to the County itself, it may take a little longer for they (the County) would send it to New Castle.

Not everyone had an Obituary. However, if you gave the exact date of death, the people looking up the obit should look from the date of death to at least a week past the death date. Reason being back in the day, especially if you were Italian, they laid the body out at the home of the deceased for a week. People use to walk in the front door, pay their respect, and walk out the back door.

Also, some people didn't have enough money to pay for an obituary to be placed in the newspaper.

Now depending on where he lived most of his life and with the help of the census records, you could narrow down when he was Naturalized. So you are going to have to tell me what census records you have and if I could see them, then we can figure out where to send for Naturalization records.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

trish,

yes he died in PA, i am positive of that and i did send to new castle pa for the death certificate..

And no i didnt give the exact date of death.. I wrote in to the punxsutawney area historical and genealogical society and they are the ones who found his tombstone and on it says 1941.. I didn't even know the year he died until i received reply from them.

And he was italian, but I am not sure how the funeral arrangements went, all i know is that he died of meningitis and they had to have a closed casket.. My aunt (his daughter) told me that...

regarding the census records, I have looked multiple times for him and his wife and my grandfather and his sister - and all results come back empty.. I'm not sure why I cant find him.

I looked in the 1930 census, which he was still alive and married and both children were born - but nothing on any of their 4 names. So I can keep looking and searching the census' or maybe someone else can give it a shot.

Thanks
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

Good news today - I received a copy of Dominic's Death certificate today... So i'll list out the information i have from this...

Name: Dominic Bango
Place of Death: Jefferson County, Punxsutawney, PA - Adrian Hospital
Date of Birth: November 4, 1894
Date of Death: April 29, 1941
Age at death: 46
Birthplace: Italy (doesn't give the town)
Married to Clara Sebastian

Father's Name: Joseph Bango (it would be Giuseppe)
Father's Birthplace: Italy (no town)

Mother's Name: Teresa Serge
Mother's Birthplace: Italy (again, no town)

He was in the USA for 30 years.... so he came here when he was 16 years old...

His two children's names were Joseph Bango (my grandfather) and Lena Bango.

Maybe this would help for the census? is there a 1940 census?

-----
Also it lists out a social security number on the certificate, but this confused me - because social security numbers I thought didn't come into existence until 1950s..... He died in '41 - so how could this be? Anyone know?

Thanks!
-Brandon
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_security_number

The first SSNs were issued by the Social Security Administration in November 1936 as part of the New Deal Social Security program. By the end of 1937, over 37 million numbers had been issued.

Since you have his social security number you can write and request a copy of his SS application. It may give his town of birth, or just list Italy. It is a document HE provided the information for and as such should be more reliable than a death cert.

In past posts didn't we conclude this ancester came from Troia? Did you follow up with FHC films or write to the town to find his birth record?

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is a 1940 census. However, it is not yet available online.
wldspirit
bbango
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bbango »

vadeb, i searched the SSDI for the ssn on his death certificate, but the results were empty. Should I still write to them asking if they have any information about him? I'm still unable to find anything about my g-grandfather, Dominic Bango, except for his WWI registration card, death certificate and burial information.

Anymore suggestions? What can be my next steps?
Surnames: Bonghi/Bongo/Bango - Strano - Sebastiani - Polito - Serge - Benigni - Micale - Mondi