Iandoli - Pleas Help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
25 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Iandoli - Pleas Help!

Postby lauraiandoli » 12 Dec 2005, 00:05

Hi, my father died in July and left me with little information about my family history. I'm hoping that I can connect with either other people who are related to me, or people who might know something about my family history. Here's what I know:

My great grandfather Iandoli leaves Italy and moves him family to Brazil where he opens up a plantation. For whatever reason this doesn't work out and they soon come to America, more specifically Massachusetts. In MA they open up a family grocery store. But the grocery store cannot support all of the sons, so my grandfather (sorry don't know his name) quits the grocery store and starts working at the Cordage Park Rope Factory in Plymoth MA. Well, the family grocery store booms and becomes a chain of Iandoli grocery stores, money that my grandfather was never able to get ahold of. The grocery store chain is later bought by Stop & Shop

My grandfather has 11 children, yes 11. One of them being my father Michael Iandoli, born September 1, 1948. My father joins the Navy out of highschool and goes to Vietnam on the amphibious assault ship, the Tripoli. He later marries my mother, Denise Houseman and they have three daughters, me and my twin sister Marina and my older sister Christy, whose name is now Christine Gould.

I figure there's got to be a lot of Iandolis out there, especially in MA! If this family history sounds at all familiar to anyone, please contact me, I'd really appreciate it.

-Laura Iandoli
lauraiandoli

Re: Iandoli - Pleas Help!

Postby DonnaPellegrin » 12 Dec 2005, 08:34

Laura,
There are several Iandoli families listed in the census records in Massachusetts. These could be your relatives. It would help to have your grandfather's name. It should be listed on your father's death record. If you could find this piece of information, we can might be able to help you.

If you would like to try to search the census records yourself for Iandoli relatives, you could go to your public library and ask the librarian to help you log onto Ancestry.com or Heritage Quest. Most public libraries have access to these databases now. It's easy and a lot of fun.
Donna Pellegrin
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby juanminbar » 12 Dec 2005, 10:54

lauraiandoli wrote:Hi, my father died in July and left me with little information about my family history. I'm hoping that I can connect with either other people who are related to me, or people who might know something about my family history. Here's what I know:

My great grandfather Iandoli leaves Italy and moves him family to Brazil where he opens up a plantation. For whatever reason this doesn't work out and they soon come to America, more specifically Massachusetts. In MA they open up a family grocery store. But the grocery store cannot support all of the sons, so my grandfather (sorry don't know his name) quits the grocery store and starts working at the Cordage Park Rope Factory in Plymoth MA. Well, the family grocery store booms and becomes a chain of Iandoli grocery stores, money that my grandfather was never able to get ahold of. The grocery store chain is later bought by Stop & Shop

My grandfather has 11 children, yes 11. One of them being my father Michael Iandoli, born September 1, 1948. My father joins the Navy out of highschool and goes to Vietnam on the amphibious assault ship, the Tripoli. He later marries my mother, Denise Houseman and they have three daughters, me and my twin sister Marina and my older sister Christy, whose name is now Christine Gould.

I figure there's got to be a lot of Iandolis out there, especially in MA! If this family history sounds at all familiar to anyone, please contact me, I'd really appreciate it.

-Laura Iandoli

============================================

===============================================

laura there are two possibilities.
ciro iandoli: ww1 draft registeration; butcher; own business; same for 1930 census.

vincent iandoli: ww1 draft registration; butcher; business for myself; same for 1920 7 1930 census.( a good canidate )
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ricbru » 12 Dec 2005, 16:12

lauraiandoli wrote:Hi, my father died in July and left me with little information about my family history. I'm hoping that I can connect with either other people who are related to me, or people who might know something about my family history. Here's what I know:

My great grandfather Iandoli leaves Italy and moves him family to Brazil where he opens up a plantation. For whatever reason this doesn't work out and they soon come to America, more specifically Massachusetts. In MA they open up a family grocery store. But the grocery store cannot support all of the sons, so my grandfather (sorry don't know his name) quits the grocery store and starts working at the Cordage Park Rope Factory in Plymoth MA. Well, the family grocery store booms and becomes a chain of Iandoli grocery stores, money that my grandfather was never able to get ahold of. The grocery store chain is later bought by Stop & Shop.

-Laura Iandoli

There are a lot of Iandoli arriving to Ellis Island, most from Avellino, Benevento and Potenza province, region of Campania

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

bye ricbru :lol:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 12 Dec 2005, 16:15

ricbru wrote:

My great grandfather Iandoli leaves Italy and moves him family to Brazil where he opens up a plantation. For whatever reason this doesn't work out and they soon come to America, more specifically Massachusetts. In MA they open up a family grocery store. But the grocery store cannot support all of the sons, so my grandfather (sorry don't know his name) quits the grocery store and starts working at the Cordage Park Rope Factory in Plymoth MA. Well, the family grocery store booms and becomes a chain of Iandoli grocery stores, money that my grandfather was never able to get ahold of. The grocery store chain is later bought by Stop & Shop.

-Laura Iandoli

There are a lot of Iandoli arriving to Ellis Island, most from Avellino, Benevento and Potenza province, region of Campania

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

bye ricbru :lol:

You can also find your grandaparents name on your father birth certificate, death certificate or cemetery record.
bye ricbru
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 12 Dec 2005, 20:23

Here is a record of interest... the 1920 census record

Name: Albert Iandoli
[Albert Damdoli]
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Worcester Ward 4, Worcester, Massachusetts
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1906
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy

Grocery store is mentioned in this 1920 census record of 2 brothers...

Albert is the head of the house here... and living with him is also his brother Vincent.

Alberts' wife is listed as Mary, sons Louis, Albert Jr. and Vincent J.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4126 ... 9201fp.gif

-----------------------------

1930 census record - Meat and Grocery store

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2821 ... oli6oc.gif

Name: Albert Iandoli
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary E Iandoli
Race: White
Home in 1930: Worcester, Worcester, Massachusetts

Mary wife (parents were Irish), children Louis, Albert, Vincent, James, Charles, John, Wilfred...

-------------------------------------
Ship record

First Name: Alberto
Last Name: Iandoli
Ethnicity: Italian Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Avellino
Date of Arrival: Feb 23, 1906
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Algeria (1891)
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0008

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 265233056&

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

na

Postby lauraiandoli » 12 Dec 2005, 20:49

na
lauraiandoli

Postby mfjp » 12 Dec 2005, 20:53

Looks like we posted at the same time (just included the 1930 census record)... which does include a Louis.

Do any of the brothers names sound familiar?

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

na

Postby lauraiandoli » 12 Dec 2005, 21:01

na
lauraiandoli

Postby mfjp » 12 Dec 2005, 21:05

Well... does an Uncle Albert exist??
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby VaDeb » 12 Dec 2005, 21:08

Name Birth Death Last Residence Last Benefit SSN Issued

LOUIS C IANDOLI 27 Jan 1915 21 Sep 2001 (P) 01609 (Worcester, Worcester, MA) (none specified) 017-10-2955 Massachusetts

LOUIS IANDOLI 04 Dec 1924 29 Jan 1991 (not specified) (none specified) 023-14-8746 Massachusetts SS-5

LOUIS IANDOLI 20 Apr 1914 31 Oct 2002 (V) 02375 (South Easton, Bristol, MA) (none specified) 030-03-7507 Massachusetts
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

na

Postby lauraiandoli » 12 Dec 2005, 21:23

na
lauraiandoli

Postby mfjp » 12 Dec 2005, 21:33

Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003 Record info
about Elizabet Ann Lambert

Name: Elizabet Ann Lambert