TEDESCO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

TEDESCO

Postby whitehorse777 » 13 Dec 2005, 09:42

IS TEDESCO AN ITALIAN JEWISH SURNAME? MY GREAT GRANDPARENTS WERE ITALIAN, BUT THEIR ANCESTORS WERE GERMAN JEWS WHO EMIGRATED TO ITALY. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO TRACE MY ANCESTRY FRO PALERMO BACKWARD?
ANY HELP/GUIDANCE WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED,
RESPECTFULLY,
CHARLES
whitehorse777

Re: TEDESCO

Postby VaDeb » 13 Dec 2005, 09:53

First, please take off the caps, it is hard to read.

I would suggest taking the research one step at a time. Start with the ancestor in Palermo and see how far back in the records you can go. The civil vital records go back to 1809. All births, deaths and marriages are recorded here, regardless of religion.

Do you know where in Germany the family was from? When they left Germany? If not, by going through the Palermo records you might find that answer or clue.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: TEDESCO

Postby john_dominic » 13 Dec 2005, 13:42

There are volumes of research that is Jewish-specific on the internet.

Just google it.

They've kept their records a hell of a lot better than us Italians and i've heard people being able to trace things back thousands of years (although I think there has to be some liberties in doing that, just based on the nature of documentation and corrosion / degration of paper / papyrus)...

J
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy