MARTINELLI, Sulmona, Abruzzo, L'Aquila

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kelleygen

MARTINELLI, Sulmona, Abruzzo, L'Aquila

Post by Kelleygen »

Looking for information on Luigi MARTINELLI, born around 1890 in Sulmona. He married Rose LEOPARDI, abt. 1900, in Sulmona. He left for the US in February 1920, with Rosa and children following about a year later. They settled in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, USA. By the 1930 US Census he was going by 'Louis' instead of 'Luigi.'

I am trying to trace his parents. If I could find a birth or death date or an obituary or something so that I might locate vital records, it would be a great help.

If anyone has any info that might help I would love you forever and ever!!! :wink:
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: MARTINELLI, Sulmona, Abruzzo, L'Aquila

Post by raymo »

Kelley,

I hope this info helps, at least as a start....The town of Sulmona's website is www.comune.sulmona.aq.it. This is the address of the "comune", the town & its government.

I found a contact for the Ufficio Anagrafe, which is where you should be able to find your great-grandparent's information, as that is basically "The Hall of Records":

Dr. MASSIMO DI PAOLO, con delega Servizi Sociali, Associazionismo, Politiche giovanili, Anagrafe e Stato Civile.
Tel 0864-242200

You probably do not want to call, I'd suggest you write a letter in simple Italian, to request the records you need. I may have missed it while I was on the site, but I couldn't find a physical address for the comune.

Any suggestions from others on this forum that can help Kelley out would be most welcome!

Good luck, Kelley & keep us posted!
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Kelley,

I hope this info helps, at least as a start....The town of Sulmona's website is www.comune.sulmona.aq.it. This is the address of the "comune", the town & its government.

I found a contact for the Ufficio Anagrafe, which is where you should be able to find your great-grandparent's information, as that is basically "The Hall of Records":

Dr. MASSIMO DI PAOLO, con delega Servizi Sociali, Associazionismo, Politiche giovanili, Anagrafe e Stato Civile.
Tel 0864-242200

You probably do not want to call, I'd suggest you write a letter in simple Italian, to request the records you need. I may have missed it while I was on the site, but I couldn't find a physical address for the comune.

Any suggestions from others on this forum that can help Kelley out would be most welcome!

Good luck, Kelley & keep us posted!
Kelleygen

Post by Kelleygen »

Thanks Raymo! :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Letters to Italy for request of records should be written in Italian,
in case you do not know the language, here is an outline by the Lds.
wldspirit

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Hello,
I just found your posting and I am hoping you are still around, I have a Rosa Martinelli married to Matteo Maucieri on our family tree, she was born in 1839 to Giovanni Martinelli and Carmela Silvestri.
I also have many relatives who on ships manifests say they went to 810 Webster Ave. Pitts.PA, do you think we might have a connection?
My family lines are in Bonefro and I believe the Martinelli's were also from that area.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
Kelleygen

Post by Kelleygen »

Wow, what a coincidence. I haven't been to this board in years and came back on a whim.

Luigi, whom I metioned in the original post, listed 810 Webster Ave, Pgh, in the manifest of his crossing, as well. So I think we may have ancesters in common. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything on him besides his mother's name listed on his death certificate, Nancy Panella. Nunzia Panella is listed on Rose Leopardi's manifest as the nearest relative in Italy. Panella was listed as her mother in law. I believe 'Nancy' was actually Nunzia, americanized, because that was Luigi's daughter's pre-americanized name.

This is my info I have in my notes about Luigi Martinelli:

Sponsored by Brother in Law Gabriel (Gaeta) Quattrocchi who was married to Angionina Leopardi, Rosa's half sister by Guiseppe Leopardi's second wife Vincenza Falcone. Gabriel and Angionina lived at 810 Webster Ave, Pittsburgh

I'm not sure your Rosa Martinelli is related, but some of your ancestors who went to Webster Ave. may be family.
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Hi again,
This is a coincidence. I have found many Maucieri's actually listed as going to 810 Webster Ave. Pittsburgh, I also discovered that it doesn't exsist anymore, it is in the space where the arena is now.

I will take the info you have given me and see if I can match it up to anything I have.
Melina :lol:
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.