I would like to hire someone.....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SeanMann

I would like to hire someone.....

Postby SeanMann » 05 Jan 2006, 02:12

to take me through the enitre process.

I really don't have the time to research everything and find all of my families documents. What I do know is that my grandparents were both born in America, and that all four of my great grandparents were born in Italy. I have my grand parents birth, marriage and death certificates. I have some useful information such as addresses.

I guess the first thing I need to figure out is when my great grandfathers were naturalized.

How much would consulation through the entire process cost me? Has anyone used anyone for this service before?

Thanks

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: I would like to hire someone.....

Postby VaDeb » 05 Jan 2006, 02:58

Way to many variables to give a $ estimate.

Are you trying to gather necessary documents to apply for dual citizenship? If so you want to find someone/organization that specializes in that.

If you just want to learn your family history alot depends on how far back you want to go. Do you want to follow all maternal and paternal lines? Do you know the town in Italy they were from?

This site is not for advertising, but if you look through posts you will see that Trish and Suanj do genealogical research.

If you want to participate in the process, why not post the information you have on one of your ancestors and let us see what we can find. Inforamtion on this site if free.

SeanMann

Postby SeanMann » 05 Jan 2006, 05:50

i want dual ciitzenship, only.

i would want them to gather all of the documents and do all of the paper work.

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 05 Jan 2006, 09:20

Try one of these. Be prepared to pay $$ for all the research you want done.

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/indexnew.jsp

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

I would try and find the grandparents on US census records (most recent is 1930) and see what their naturalization status is. The next generation must be born before naturalization of the Italian citizen in order to qualify for italian citizenship.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 05 Jan 2006, 10:59

If you want to participate in the process, why not post the information you have on one of your ancestors and let us see what we can find. Inforamtion on this site if free.

Debbie is right! Information on this site is free... It may help you with your papers... and best of all, if you participate in the process, you might get to know your ancestors!

Go for it!!

mfjp

john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby john_dominic » 05 Jan 2006, 13:58

SeanMann wrote:to take me through the enitre process.

I really don't have the time to research everything and find all of my families documents. What I do know is that my grandparents were both born in America, and that all four of my great grandparents were born in Italy. I have my grand parents birth, marriage and death certificates. I have some useful information such as addresses.

I guess the first thing I need to figure out is when my great grandfathers were naturalized.

How much would consulation through the entire process cost me? Has anyone used anyone for this service before?

Thanks

Sean, it's up to you, but i've done this from start to (nearly) finish.

(I would have easily had my citizenship done by now, if the Chicago office didn't move at a snail's pace - i've been waiting for 11 months now.)

In gathering the documentation, I don't think what you want is possible.

Basically, you want to simply pay someone so they'll get it all done, and you'll get a passport in the mail, right?

That is impossible without hiring a lawyer who specializes in this and who will take personal trips to visit you and your family, numerous times so they can sign and requst things as they can only legally be done by specific individuals.

You need all documents to be 100% correct (that means ZERO misspellings or wrong dates on ANYTHING), and the corrections can only be done through the individual who has the right to do so.

So, in the (all too common) case your Grandmother's Birth Certificate has her mother listed as "Mary Lucie" instead of "Maria Lucci", that means you have to request a change, have it FedEx'd back to you, get your grandmother to have it signed in front of a notary public, who cerifies and seals that she did it in front of her, then resending it back to the state, who will correct it, and return it back to her, getting it back to you.

And, that's not considering the countless unmodified documents only you (or other family members) can request. You can't just tell a lawyer to get you an apostille. You have to request it for your family.

So, overall, unless you've got a sizable amount of money you want to spend on this (thousands) i'd actually give it up. It takes a sizable amount of time and effort for everyone who isn't first or second generation (even with help from this forum).

And, time seems to be a luxury you don't have.

To give a realistic expectation:

It took me five years to collect the documents I needed, correct them and seal them. Granted, I was busy (like you), so it was spread out, but even if it was condensed, it would have taken at least a year and a half to get it done, given how slow the US (and Italian) government is, processing anything and everything.

And, they've got all the documents you need...

-J

trevisan2
Elite
Elite

Postby trevisan2 » 13 Jan 2006, 19:35

I too need help in getting my dual citizenzhip. I would be willing to hire someone to perform the initial research to dertermine if I qualify.

Can comeone tell me who to contact in California where my grandparents lived on getting the doucments of their naturalization or if they received it.

regiards
Trevisan2
Researching in the provience of Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO

Surnames Melchiori of Oderzo, TV, Vendrame of TV, Rossi of Rai di San Polo, Bonotto of TV.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”