PASSINI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
december84

Re: PASSINI

Post by december84 »

WOW, you guys are really helpful. THANK YOU SO MUCH. Here is what I've found so far:

I had searched Ellis Island before with no good results, but this time I changed some of the fields and came up with these two names:

Luigi Passini
Italy, Northern
Last Residence: Zocca (This is in Emilia-Romagna Region)
Arrival: Oct 13, 1903
Age: 30 (This sounds about right... the censuses from 1910-1930 have Louis and Barbara with all kinds of different ages always about 6-10 years apart)
Ship: Statendam
Port: Boulogne-Sur-Mer
Manifest # 0006
Headed for Ladd, IL (Now my family ended up in IL much later, they first lived in MO... well that I know of)

AND I also found a woman named Luigia Passini (Could it be that when they asked her her name she gave the name of her husband and they misunderstood?)

Luigia Passini
Last Residence: Montese (Near Zocca in the Emilia-Romagna Region)
Arrived: Dec 13, 1903
Ship: La Savoie
Port Havre
Manifest # 0004

Could THIS be them? I don't know, I need to compare what you guys have given me and this information with the census information. THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!

-Rachel
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Rachel,

Did Luigi and Barbara have a daughter named Rose?

Maria
december84

Post by december84 »

So after some careful comparing I've decided that Luigi Passini from Fanano and Barbara Seghi from Fanano are probably my great great grandparents!!! They are both headed for Missouri and Barbara is going to join Luigi Passini. Luigi is off to join Carlo (Or Charlie, I believe my Aunt said they called him both). According to the censuses Barbara arrived in either 1903 or 1902. Louis arrived in 1901 or 1902. According to Ellis Island Luigi arrived in Jan 1902 (close to 1901) and Barbara arrived in Oct 1902 (Close to 1903). The Censuses have that Barbara was born in 1877, 1874, or 1876. Louis in 1866 or 1870. Ellis Island has Barbara being born in 1875 and Louis born in 1867... The dates and the information is too close to disregard. I really think this must be them!!! Thank you all so much for your help!!! Now I can start looking at the Seghi line.
-Rachel
december84

Post by december84 »

Not to my knowledge. But I would not be surprised that they would. Their son Umberto and their daughter Maria died, so it would not surprise me if they had a daughter named Rosa who also died. A twist in things however, is that my family has always said that Joseph was born in Italy not MO like the census says. In the 1910 census they wrote his place of birth as Italy, then scratched it out and wrote MO. Could someone have mistaken the name Joseph for Rosa? They do sound sort of similar.
mtandst

Post by mtandst »

December84....

I was just reading your post here...and all the valuable information you were given by Suanj, Wldspirit, Nuccia and Mfjp. Some of the people on this board are just amazing...and I don't know how they find this info out quickly...but they are good...even when there are names etc, that are not spelled correctly. Truly amazing...Great Work !!!

I used to live in Hennepin, Il. which is a small town not far from the small town of Ladd, Il...where lots of Northern Italians came to work the coal mines there...which Wldspirit mentioned. In fact, my grandfather Leopoldo Iattoni...came over from Northern Italy in 1907 to work the coal mines.

My mother still lives in the town of Hennepin, Il...and I remembered the name of Passini...as there were several families (father and sons) related that lived in the same rural area that we did. In fact, one was a neighbor to us for several years. After reading your post...I asked my mother if she could tell me any more info on this family.

I believe it was Mfjp...that found a manifest of a Giustino (Jiustinias sp?) Passini. He was traveling with 2 small sons...named Carlo and Adam. It was suggested that perhaps this Giustino was a brother to Luigi Passini...and also to Charles Passini.

If you would ever like to follow up on the Giustino Passini....Here is some information...that my mother has given me on this family.

On the manifest for Giustino... it mentioned that he was traveling with 2 young sons....Carlo and Adam. I can tell you about his son Adam.

When my mother married my father in 1946...she moved to Hennepin where my father and his family lived. In 1946 Adam Passini, Sr. was already living in Hennepin. He was married to Alvira Bonucchi from Mark, Il. They had 3 children.

Adam Passini, Jr. - (who lives in Hennepin, Il)
Robert Passini - (who lives in LaSalle, Il)
Rita Jean (don't know her married name) - (who lives in Spring Valley, Il)

On the manifest for Elizabeth Bernardini (Charles Passini's wife)...it states that she was from Lizzano, Italy. That is the same town my Grandfather Leopoldo Iattoni was from. In fact he traveled to America with some Bernardini's...which were also from Lizzano.

Just thought I would point that out...as many of these Italians...who came over to work the coal mines...seemed to also settle in the area. Word got back to those left behind in Italy...and then others...would arrive to join with their families and friends. Many of these folks then settled in the area permanently...after the coal mines closed. The names of some of the small towns are Mark, Granville, Hennepin, Ladd, Spring Valley, and Dalzall. They are all very heavily populated with Italians. If others are looking for info on their relatives...and you know that they lived in or may be from Il...and they worked in the coal mines...all of these small towns in Il. are places to look for more information about your relatives, etc.

You mentioned that you were also going to try to work on the Seghi line of your family history. I mentioned the above...to let you know that there are some Seghi's...that used to live in a small town called Cedar Point, Il.

Just wanted to share with you the info that I know about the Passini's and the Seghi's. Also, wanted to let you know that I believe as the other posters have stated...that your relatives are probably from Northern Italy...the Emilia-Romagna Region in Italy.

Good Luck in your Search... :) :) :)

mtandst
mwilken
Rookie
Rookie

Re: PASSINI BORELLI RICCI

Post by mwilken »

Just read the above Passini info. My husbands family has Passini roots also. Alot of his relatives lived in Granville. Mark, Hennepin and also worked in the coal mines. I am looking for Decendants of an Artemisia

Passini. She never immigrated. Can you Help? Also Borelli and Ricci relatives in the area.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello mwilken
Welcome to the forum!
You may want to start your own post so
we can keep your family research separate.
Just scroll down a tad and hit the "new topic"
button.
Thanks! vj
flip58

Post by flip58 »

I want to thank everyone for posting. I am fairly certain that Charles Passini is my great grandfather. He married Elizabeth Bernardini and in the 1940 census, their household include five sons, Tony, Joseph, John, Charles (my grandfather) and Peter.
Charismab

Post by Charismab »

This is an old post, but I am the grand daughter of Reta Jean Passini, we are from northern italy