PARENTE/PARENTI/PARENT

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
missymess

PARENTE/PARENTI/PARENT

Postby missymess » 30 Jan 2006, 16:57

I have a few questions about the above names. At one time I remember someone telling me that PARENTE was used in the south, and PARENTI was used more in the north. And then I heard (with our family at least) that they may have come from France with Napoleon, and it was actually the French PARENT. I have recently found a second cousin who says that the family came from Parma. Anything anyone knows about the above is appreciated.

orion

Re: PARENTE/PARENTI/PARENT

Postby orion » 07 Feb 2006, 14:13

missymess wrote:I have a few questions about the above names. At one time I remember someone telling me that PARENTE was used in the south, and PARENTI was used more in the north. And then I heard (with our family at least) that they may have come from France with Napoleon, and it was actually the French PARENT. I have recently found a second cousin who says that the family came from Parma. Anything anyone knows about the above is appreciated.

"PARENTE" is a PERSON. PARENTI are 2 or more PERSONS, in italian. English "PARENT" is like italian "GENITORI"(Your Father, your Mother). Italian "PARENTE" or "PARENTI" is like "RELATIVE" or "RELATIVES" in English.
The official language is Italian, but every region have own dialect. In the South of Italy there are similar dialects. Sicilian dialect is like Calabrian dialect...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”