Mongeni Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cheering_babe23

Mongeni Family

Postby cheering_babe23 » 10 Feb 2006, 07:41

Hi Everyone!

My dad and I have been trying to find out about where my great grandfather came from and the rest of our family.

My great grandfather didn't know any English when he arrived, so it is possible that his name was changed, both his first and surnames. He was from Italy and he arrived in New York. His name(as we have known, may not be his true name) was Andrew(Andy) Mongeni. He was born on July 15, 1885 in Italy, exact place unknown. We think he had 5 brothers and 1 sister. His sister went back to Italy. His mother's name could have been Jiosepnia.

I am sorry that I am not exact on all of this. There are so many missing pieces. I hope someone can help me. :?

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Mongeni Family

Postby mfjp » 10 Feb 2006, 11:51

Any Edwin's or Betty's in your family? I found an Andrea - Edwin connection... and this is why I ask.

We could look for a census record for Andrew, but we would need more info...

Can you mention the name of his wife and children.

Could you also mention how you were able to get his exact birth date?

Town or city where he settle in New York, would really help...

Also... there are many Andrea "Mongeni" sound alikes... so there is hope..

I had already found a couple of close matches... your further info would really make a difference...

First Name: Edwimo
Last Name: Meneghini
Ethnicity: Austrian (Italian)
Last Place of Residence: Molveno
Date of Arrival: Feb 26, 1905
Age at Arrival: 20 Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: La Bretagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0024

mfjp

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 10 Feb 2006, 12:49

cheering_babe23 wrote:Hi Everyone!

My dad and I have been trying to find out about where my great grandfather came from and the rest of our family.

My great grandfather didn't know any English when he arrived, so it is possible that his name was changed, both his first and surnames. He was from Italy and he arrived in New York. His name(as we have known, may not be his true name) was Andrew(Andy) Mongeni. He was born on July 15, 1885 in Italy, exact place unknown. We think he had 5 brothers and 1 sister. His sister went back to Italy. His mother's name could have been Jiosepnia.

I am sorry that I am not exact on all of this. There are so many missing pieces. I hope someone can help me. :?

Hello,
this is Andy Mongeni SSDI

ANDY MONGENI 90 15 Jul 1885 Aug 1975 25810 (Allen Junction, Wyoming, WV) (none specified) 233-28-1528 West Virginia

If you want to know his right date and place of birth you can also request a copy of his naturalization record( if any), death record, marriage application and act, cemetery record.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Feb 2006, 16:51

Just a bit: my personal opinion is that the exact spelling could be MANGINI.. it are a:
Andrea Mangini Occupation Peasant
Age 18
Sex M
Literacy Y
Arrived 24 Jul 1903
Origin Italy
Port Genoa & Naples
Last Residence Pescopagano
Destination Ny
Plan Unknown
Ship Citta Di Milano
Passage Unknown

it could be ....
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 10 Feb 2006, 19:11

Hi! I saw that one too. I also did a town search of the surname, and then thought it could not be him... even though the surname is close...

Similar surnames from Pescopagano are Mancini, Masini, Mongiello, Mungiello....

mfjp

cheering_babe23

Postby cheering_babe23 » 11 Feb 2006, 03:22

mfjp wrote:Any Edwin's or Betty's in your family? I found an Andrea - Edwin connection... and this is why I ask.

We could look for a census record for Andrew, but we would need more info...

Can you mention the name of his wife and children.

Could you also mention how you were able to get his exact birth date?

Also... there are many Andrea "Mongeni" sound alikes... so there is hope..

I had already found a couple of close matches... your further info would really make a difference...

Yes. My dad's name is Edwin and so was his dad. Betty was Andy's Wife, born in WV, though, no ties that I know of with Betty other than that.

My dad told me that they knew his birthdate. I am guessing that he told them.

Wife’s name was Betty Overton; married on February 17, 1919. Children names are Edwin, Toney, Ira, and Paul. Sister’s name could be Maria and one brother’s name could be Antonio, Antony or Anthony. My dad thinks that when he left from New York, Andy and his brothers went to Pennsylvania, and then he went to WV. His sister went back to Italy at some point in time and stayed there. Andy died August 10, 1975 in Beckley,WV.

My dad also said that he and his brothers and sister were suppose to traveled together. He said it could be possible that they were in the harbor when the boat came in and didn't register in Ellis Island, being wetbacks, but that is something we aren't sure of yet.

Some Pictures *This site has not been updated in about 4 years. We do not have those emails listed anymore. So if you send an email with those addresses we won't get them.** :oops: Oh, and Sorry for the annoying music. I guess my dad liked it. :roll: :lol: *

((*EDIT*))

I did find a Maria Mongeni in New York, New York with United States Federal Census Record on Ancestry.com , but I do not have an account to see everything that is on the record.

Ancestry.com wrote: 1900 United States Federal Census Record
Census
View Image Name: Maria Mongeni
Birth: 1850 - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1900 - city, New York, New York

I also see two names of which belong to Andy; one that says where he lived here in the US and one with some of the same stuff but says where he is born.

Ancestry.com wrote:Name: Andy Mongeni
Birth: dd mm year - Italy
Death: dd mm 1975 - city WV USA
Marriage: dd mm year
Parents: surname
Spouse: name surname

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 11 Feb 2006, 06:11

Hi Cheering_Babe23,

My dad also said that he and his brothers and sister were suppose to traveled together. He said it could be possible that they were in the harbor when the boat came in and didn't register in Ellis Island, being wetbacks, but that is something we aren't sure of yet

What does "being wetback mean" ? :oops:

Hey, don't worry about not seeing those images from ancestry, I don't mind posting them here for you....

Thanks for the further info as well.

Back soon,
mfjp

cheering_babe23

Postby cheering_babe23 » 11 Feb 2006, 06:20

A wetback is an illegal immigrant.

Thank you all for help. I really Appreciate it. *Gives everyone hugs.* Heehee. :P :lol:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”