Surname Varnese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
dukey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Jan 2006, 00:00

Surname Varnese

Postby dukey » 10 Feb 2006, 17:42

I have been researching my husband's family and have hit a roadblock. His maternal grandfather was Antonio Varnese born on June 16, 1877. The family thinks he was from somewhere in Aquila. His mother died when he was born so he was brought up by an aunt. He came through Ellis Island on the Hesperia on November 18, 1903, port of departure was Naples. This record shows him as being greek. It also says that he is from Curtella. I am wondering if this should be Civitella. The transcriptions for other passengers is also Curtella. The manifest page was also the wrong page. I made some notes to the record. We realize now that Varnese is probably not correct and have no idea where to start. We do not have any of his documents. He married Maria Francesca Boccia in 1908, we think in New Hampshire. She came through Ellis Island with her family on December 4, 1906 on the Citta di Napoli. He shows up on all the census reports. Maria was from Opi in Aquila. We have always gotten the impression that he knew the family before he came here and so we are assuming that he lived near Opi. Our problem is that Varnese does not appear anywhere, does anyone have an idea as to where I should go from here.
Thanks,
Rumi

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby suanj » 10 Feb 2006, 18:02

Hi the town is Civitella, but are various Civitella in Abruzzo region and I think that could be Civitella Roveto town in L'AQUILA province.. the surname spelling ... sure Varnese not exist... could be Varanese, Varanesi... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby ricbru » 10 Feb 2006, 19:40

dukey wrote:I have been researching my husband's family and have hit a roadblock. His maternal grandfather was Antonio Varnese born on June 16, 1877. The family thinks he was from somewhere in Aquila. His mother died when he was born so he was brought up by an aunt. He came through Ellis Island on the Hesperia on November 18, 1903, port of departure was Naples. This record shows him as being greek. It also says that he is from Curtella. I am wondering if this should be Civitella. The transcriptions for other passengers is also Curtella. The manifest page was also the wrong page. I made some notes to the record. We realize now that Varnese is probably not correct and have no idea where to start. We do not have any of his documents. He married Maria Francesca Boccia in 1908, we think in New Hampshire. She came through Ellis Island with her family on December 4, 1906 on the Citta di Napoli. He shows up on all the census reports. Maria was from Opi in Aquila. We have always gotten the impression that he knew the family before he came here and so we are assuming that he lived near Opi. Our problem is that Varnese does not appear anywhere, does anyone have an idea as to where I should go from here.
Thanks,
Rumi


Here there is your Antonio Varnese ship record

Antonio Varnese

Occupation Peasant
Age 26
Sex M
Literacy Y
Arrived 18 Nov 1903
Origin Italy
Port Palermo
Last Residence Castello
Destination Ny
Plan Unknown
Ship Hesperia
Passage Unknown

He declares to have his last residence in Castello

Castello - comune: Sant'Eusanio del Sangro - province: Chieti - region: Abruzzo

You can try to request his birth record to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Cesare De Titta
66037 Sant'Eusanio Del Sangro (CH)
Italy

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Chieti

About Maria Francesca Boccia ship recordit says she was born in Poggiomarino in province of Napoli

So since you have her parents name on the ship manifest you may start requesting her birth certificate to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
P.zza De Marinis, 3 –
80040 Poggiomarino (NA)
Italy

anagrafe_statocivile@comune.poggiomarino.na.it

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Napoli

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby suanj » 10 Feb 2006, 19:48

Riccardo: lei dice che Maria Francesca era di Opi... e il tuo record si riferisce a Maria Carmina e si recava a Buffalo... penso che siano due persone differenti...
Inoltre caro Ric, su Antonio non si riesce a vedere lo ship's manifest ma dagli altri cognomi provenienti dalla stessa città (scritta Curtella), troviamo che erano di Civitella R... mah!
Mi spiace solo che non è disponibile il manifesto.. ciao suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
dukey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Jan 2006, 00:00

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby dukey » 10 Feb 2006, 19:48

Wow, thank you both. I thought that I was really at a dead end. Will keep searching and let you know if I come up with anything.
Rumi

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby ricbru » 10 Feb 2006, 19:53

suanj wrote:Riccardo: lei dice che Maria Francesca era di Opi... e il tuo record si riferisce a Maria Carmina e si recava a Buffalo... penso che siano due persone differenti...
Inoltre caro Ric, su Antonio non si riesce a vedere lo ship's manifest ma dagli altri cognomi provenienti dalla stessa città (scritta Curtella), troviamo che erano di Civitella R... mah!
Mi spiace solo che non è disponibile il manifesto.. ciao suanj


Non voglio replicare Raffaella, ma lei dice


He married Maria Francesca Boccia in 1908, we think in New Hampshire. She came through Ellis Island with her family on December 4, 1906 on the Citta di Napoli. He shows up on all the census reports. Maria was from Opi in Aquila.

quindi credo che il manifest ship list è giusto, ciao Riccardo :oops: :roll:

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0524%2ETIF

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby suanj » 10 Feb 2006, 19:56

Riccardo sto rispondendo a entrambe le affermazioni: se lo ship's manifest è giusto, l'autore del topic ha sbagliato il nome di battesimo della donna...
Ma era Maria Francesca o Maria Carmina..? Uno dei due nomi è corretto; era di Poggiomarino o di Opi? uno dei due sarà corretto.. giocoforza...eppoi se il viaggio che dukey dice è giusto.. ma come può affermare che è di Opi quando è chiaramente scritto Poggiomarino?

sto osservando che ci sono delle discrepanze tra le affermazioni... niente di particolare.. ciao raf


PS: Hi: but your maria Francesca Boccia was from Opi or Poggiomarino? Ricbru provide you a ship's manifest of travel that you mentioned.. but are wrote Maria Carmina and no Maria Francesca, and the italian place is Poggiomarino and no Opi... you can explane us better the ancestors data...
however here are the Boccia women coming from OPI and nobody with Maria Francesca first name :

1. Ma. Santa Boccia Opi, Aquila 1913 27
2. Maria Boccia Opi 1901 8
3. Maria Boccia Opi, Italy 1920 23
4. Maria Cristina Boccia Opi, Italy 1919 7
5. Placida Boccia Opi, Italy 1919 6
6. Virgelia Boccia Opi 1901 16
7. Angela Boccia Opi 1901 12
8. Bambina Boccia Opi, Aquila 1914 0
9. Lucia Boccia Opi, Italy 1908 26
10.Nardanjelo (Martangela) Boccia Opi 1901 35
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
dukey
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Jan 2006, 00:00

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby dukey » 10 Feb 2006, 20:37

Sorry, it is Maria Francesca Boccia born December 23, 1889 in Opi. Her father was Orazio Boccia born on January 9, 1847 and mother was Maria Chrestina Giancarlo born September 30 1850 also in Opi. We have been told Opi but maybe this is not correct.
Thanks so much.
Rumi

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby suanj » 10 Feb 2006, 21:04

dukey wrote:Sorry, it is Maria Francesca Boccia born December 23, 1889 in Opi. Her father was Orazio Boccia born on January 9, 1847 and mother was Maria Chrestina Giancarlo born September 30 1850 also in Opi. We have been told Opi but maybe this is not correct.
Thanks so much.
Rumi

well so your first affirmation He married Maria Francesca Boccia in 1908, we think in New Hampshire. She came through Ellis Island with her family on December 4, 1906 on the Citta di Napoli. He shows up on all the census reports. Maria was from Opi in Aquila.
about the travel.. is no right, because in this travel was Maria Carmina Boccia joining Giovanni father (and no Orazio) in Buffalo.. regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby ricbru » 10 Feb 2006, 21:05

dukey wrote:Sorry, it is Maria Francesca Boccia born December 23, 1889 in Opi. Her father was Orazio Boccia born on January 9, 1847 and mother was Maria Chrestina Giancarlo born September 30 1850 also in Opi. We have been told Opi but maybe this is not correct.
Thanks so much.
Rumi


The only way to see if these datas are correct, request a birth certificate to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Domenico Ursitti, 33
67030 Opi (AQ)
Italy

bye Riccardo :lol:

User avatar
amiamoItlaia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 17:32
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby amiamoItlaia » 21 Jun 2008, 23:33

Hello,

First, let me thank you so much for all the lavoro bellissimo!

I know it's been a few years since any discussion on this topic but I thought I would ask.

My Great grandmother was Mariantonia Boccia of Poggiomarino. She traveled on the "Bolivia" date of arrival 1st of May 1899. She brought her children to Buffalo and her husband.

Is there anyway to connect her to the Maria Carmina Boccia (traveling to see her father Giovanne) that is in the previous posting?

Thank you so much for any help you provide.

Ciao,

Mike
Yes, I misspelled Italia!

User avatar
varnese
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 23:00

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby varnese » 31 Oct 2008, 23:10

Hello! My grandfather was Maria Boccia's son (Orayio Varnese). We have been trying to get the correct spelling for years. Receently I have made a discovery and think the correct spelling should be Veronese. My mother has more information than I do. You can contact me at lisette.varnese@gmail.com if you need more info.

User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6817
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Nov 2008, 03:36

The Italian surname dicitonary listes two base surnames VARESE with its variant Varesi distributed in Lombardia. Verona with its derivations Veronese, and Veronesi, found frequently in NE Italy and amongst Israelis too but very frequently as Veronese in venezia and Veronesi in Emilia Romagna. Perhaps this might shed some light on your inquiries. =Peter=

sdvarnese
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Nov 2011, 07:22

Re: Surname Varnese

Postby sdvarnese » 01 Nov 2011, 07:29

Hello,

Just want to say thank you all for the information. My grandfather was Orayio Varnese, son of Maria Boccia. I really appreciate all the info and would love to learn more for a trip to Italy!!

Sherrie Varnese


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 6 guests