Malinconico origin?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ezekiel

Malinconico origin?

Post by Ezekiel »

Shalom,

I was wonderning if anybody here would know of the origins of the name Malinconico? I know in Italian is means (Melancholy) which represents a form of depression or violent anger.

I have tried to research the name to a origin in Italy and its seems like the Campania region of Italy has Malinconico's living there. From my knowledge Malinconico is not a surname at all, its a given name to describe somebody. And in my case it seems like a description of a curse over my fathers side of the family. Mainly the familyy I have ran across carry a form of downess as in being sad or have a form of violent anger to their nature. Thus the name Malinconico (Melancholy) fits well.

I was trying to locate how could one find the origin or descendants who were branded that name? I know in here in the U.S. the Malinconico's were located in Brooklyn, NY, and many now stay in North New Jersey where I grew up, some have moved South to Florida, and I have located in Houston, TX. As far as I know I'm the only one on this side of the U.S. with that last name. But I can't find how to trace the origin of Malinconico being branded a name to match a person's nature.

On my mother side Lusardi is her madien name and I found their origin in North Italy. Mainly in the Lombardia region. But Malinconico is like a hopeless search, becauses it not a real surname its only a branded nickname for Melancholy / Black Bile.

Also does anybody have any kowledge of Jewish Italians? I follow the Messianic Jewish belief, and heard taints of info that someone in my family were Jewish, and I follow the Jewish way of the Bible on my own, as if it was placed in me. Just was wondering.

Thanks for your time in advance, and have a bless day.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Malinconico origin?

Post by ricbru »

Dear Ezekiel,
since I'm reading some book about genealogy during these days I'm learning that:
during Roman time in Italy people had prenome (actual name) nome of gens (name of decendents) and sopranome (actual last name).
Prenome became the name, nome of gens was not used anymore, and sopranome is the last name.
All people started to have name and last name since 10th century a.c.
The sopranome was born from a nick name, or attitude, or place where use to live, etc.
So if your folks was called Malinconico since the beginning of time, it means that your ancestors use to act with this way of melancony,
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

p.s. here a list of Italian jewish last names

http://www.holywar.org/italy/txt/cogno.htm
Ezekiel

Re: Malinconico origin?

Post by Ezekiel »

Thanks a lot of Riccardo.