Comune maps

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Comune maps

Post by jcsm400 »

How can I get a street map for a town in Italy? What is the cost?

Thanks,
jcsm
jspdg

Re: Comune maps

Post by jspdg »

Try the site TuttoCitta.

Type the name of the town into the box labeled Citta, and hit return. It will show you a zoomed-out view of the region with your town circled. You can then zoom way in close with the +/- thingee, and move the frame in any direction, as per the usual for internet maps. Its really quite brilliant.

Main streets are labeled, but there isn't room for all labels. However, if you mouse click on any street shown without a label, a popup will provide the name.

Omni Resources had the best collection of Italian maps (paper) that I could find for sale anywhere in North America, when I was buying maps a few years ago.

The Italian "Instituto Geografico Militare" Carta Topografica d'Italia (scala 1:25,000) are topographic maps which I love because they show the terrain and they also show most of the names of the contradas and other rural neighborhoods/districts outside the town centers, which may be named as places of residence in old civil vital records, but which you would probably never locate precisely in any other way except going to Italy and asking someone!

I like maps, by the way, in case that isn't clear yet! :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

on line is free and you can use the zoom (+-) for to see the street and all that you need... for exemple here is San Vitaliano map http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... r&google=1
for to see the street you put the zoom on VIA word
.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jspdg

Post by jspdg »

Hey suanj - that michelin site is even better than the TuttoCitta one!!

Thanks for posting it! :P

jspdg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes Michelin is the best about the maps! regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

jspdg & suanj,

Thanks so much for the sites! Still want to get actual map of San Vitaliano & Armento, so will contact the place given by jspdg.

It's nice to be able to see where everyone was located in a town.

jcsm :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

jcsm400 wrote:jspdg & suanj,

Thanks so much for the sites! Still want to get actual map of San Vitaliano & Armento, so will contact the place given by jspdg.

It's nice to be able to see where everyone was located in a town.

jcsm :)
I guess that you can even get the maps for free from Pro-loco office or Tourist information desk (same address of the comune) of San Vitaliano and Armento.
Just write a request, put an envelope and international reply coupon, and they will send it to you at home

bye Riccardo
:lol: