From The Bahamas

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bahamabeachboy

From The Bahamas

Postby bahamabeachboy » 16 Mar 2006, 05:48

Hello my name is Colin Leon Scavella Jr., for years I have been searching for the background to my family name. I have written to the Italian Government several times and also to the Italian Ambassador for help both with failed responces.
This is my final hope to discover that part of me that is missing.

Please help me discover the Scavella background. Thanking you in advance Jr. :lol: :D

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: From The Bahamas

Postby nuccia » 16 Mar 2006, 05:57

Hi bahamabeachboy,

Here's a list of Scavella's going through Ellis Island. Maybe it will help you find where your family is from. Ellis is a free data base but you must register a username to access it.

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

Hope this helps :!:

Nuccia and Jennifer :D :D

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 16 Mar 2006, 08:48

Hi Colin,

All records in Italy are located in the town that the event occured in. There in no central registration, so this is why the Italian governement has been unable to help you.

You haven't provided any details of your search or what countries the search would occur in. The best (and really only way) to do genealogy research is to start with yourself and follow the documents backwards.

Do you have your fathers birth record? This should give the names of your grandparents. Then find the grandparents marriage record. And so the search goes. Try and give us some details and we can offer advice on a direction to turn in.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 16 Mar 2006, 11:29

Hi Colin,

This is a link to Scavella genealogical information

http://www.genealogytoday.com/surname/f ... e=Scavella

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 16 Mar 2006, 14:15

bahamabeachboy wrote:Hello my name is Colin Leon Scavella Jr., for years I have been searching for the background to my family name. I have written to the Italian Government several times and also to the Italian Ambassador for help both with failed responces.
This is my final hope to discover that part of me that is missing.

Please help me discover the Scavella background. Thanking you in advance Jr. :lol: :D

Hi bahamabeachboy you can say us some other detail? Some Scavellas from Nassau and brithis subjects was emigrated in New York, and also in Montreal/Canada and after also in New York, what I find on LDS is that the first in Bahamas was a Henry Scavella.. is the same your old ancestor? Please let us know.. however is a calabrian surname, especially....

Also is interesting that some Scavella from Bahama isles was resident in Florida/USA:
Dade County, Florida - 1917-18 Civilian Draft Registration (PRAETORIUS-SCHWIEGER)

Scavalla, Joe 4 Jan 1887 B Nassau Bahamas Dade FL
Scavalla, John 23 May 1896 B Long Key Bahamas Dade FL
Scavalla, Thaddeus 25 Jun 1893 B Nassau Bahamas Dade FL
Scavella, Claude 22 Apr 1875 B citizen of Bahamas Dade FL
Scavella, Erice Middlton Alpert 8 Apr 1898 B citizen of Britain Dade FL
Scavella, Fred 6 May 1886 B citizen of Britain Dade FL
Scavella, Godfrey Christopher 6 Mar 1882 B citiz. of Gregrorytown Baham Dade FL
Scavella, Henry 26 May 1884 B citizen of Great Britain Dade FL
Scavella, Leon 15 Aug 1897 B he & dad b. Fortune Isl. Bah. Dade FL
Scavella, Menuel? 1 Oct 1896 B Eleuthera Bahamas Dade FL
Scavella, Raymond 21 Jul 1889 B Bahamas Dade FL
Scavella, Theodore 17 Dec 1897 B citizen of Britain Dade FL
Scavella, William 14 Jul 1894 B Gregorytown Eleuth. Baham
[hr]
however it seems that in 1827 already was a J. Scavella in the isles and a John and Henry Scavella again in 1857

[url=http://www.bahamasnationalarchives.bs/Genealogy/Will%20Index/Will_Index_S1.htm]another bit:
NAME DATE OF WILL DATE PROVED ADDRESS EXECUTORS NOTES [/url]82. Scavella, Henry 30 April 1880 19 December 1884 Fortune Island Hon. Robert H. Sawyer ___________
83. Scavella, John 30 July 1831 15 December 1835 Crooked Island Henry & John W. Scavella
Henry Moss
Eliza Moss

[hr]
also this article, hard but very interesting for you
[hr]
However if someone of your ancestors could be related with you let us know,
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”