Silva from Piacenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lorelei03

Silva from Piacenza

Postby Lorelei03 » 19 Mar 2006, 07:38

Hello all,

I am new to this site and have checked in because this July I will be visiting my great-grandfather's home town of Piacenza. His name was Victorio Silva. Victorio was in the seminary in Italy at one time and his father was a shoemaker. I would like to trace as much as I can - of course, I have a dream that I can find the house he was born in, etc. I will search the boards and site, but did want to throw this request for help/info out, as I have no idea how to start this research! :)

Thanks,
Lorelei

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Silva from Piacenza

Postby nuccia » 19 Mar 2006, 08:06

Hi Lorelei03,

To research family from Italy, the best thing to do is to order microfilm from the FHC from your town. Trish who is the expert genealogist here and who volunteers at a Family History Centre has written a step by step post on how you can do this. Here is the link:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

You may also want to look at this other post that she's written regarding the price of the microfilms.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=3982

Remember, the best way to search is starting with yourself and working backwards.

Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Nuccia

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 19 Mar 2006, 09:52

"Italian Genealogical Records" by Trafford Cole, a fast, easy read.......by the time you are done you will be an expert genealogist yourself.......explains in great detail record keeping in Italy without alot of hot air.........
wldspirit

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 19 Mar 2006, 12:10

Lorelei03 wrote:Hello all,

I am new to this site and have checked in because this July I will be visiting my great-grandfather's home town of Piacenza. His name was Victorio Silva. Victorio was in the seminary in Italy at one time and his father was a shoemaker. I would like to trace as much as I can - of course, I have a dream that I can find the house he was born in, etc. I will search the boards and site, but did want to throw this request for help/info out, as I have no idea how to start this research! :)

Thanks,
Lorelei

If he was born when there was the instituction of Ufficio di Stato Civile (Civil record office), so you will find on his birth act the address of the house where he was born, otherwise if he was born when there was not yet Stato Civile, so you have only his bapth record, it is hard to find,
bye Riccardo :lol:

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Mar 2006, 12:14

Lorelei03 wrote:Hello all,

Thanks,
Lorelei

Hi lorelei, I don't know if this is your ancestor:
Vittorio SILVA shoemaker, born in TRAVO town/Piacenza province, emigrated the Nov 17, 1905,
but if this is your ancestor, you can request all certificates by email comune.travo @ sintranet.it ( no spaces please) or also you can see the Travo microfilm by LDS, so from birthact you can read the address of birth house... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

dhill117

Postby dhill117 » 29 May 2011, 21:33

My great-great-grandparents are from Piacenza as well: Luigi Silva and Maria Croci. They married ~ 1872 and had two children, Pietro and Aurelia. Both Pietro and Aurelia moved to NY (Brooklyn/Bronx).

Please help me learn about my family's life in Piacenza. I would love to visit and explore my roots.

Thanks.

Diane Silva Hill
originally from NY, now in CA

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 May 2011, 16:40

Hi by a genealogic tree on ancestry.com
Pietro 'peter' Silva
Silva-Hill Family Tree
Birth: 24 May 1872 - Gropparello, Piacenza, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Marriage: 27 Nov 1898 - Manhattan, MT (Montana) wrong state he married in Manhattan NY;
Death: 26 Sep 1951 - Bronx, Bronx, New York
Parents: Luigi Silva, Maria Croci
Spouse: Maria Cordani
if this record is abt your ancestor, seeming that he was born in Gropparello (Piacenza province): map
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&xhr=t& ... CB0Q8gEwAA
the arrival:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Pietro Silva Name: Pietro Silva
Arrival Date: 24 May 1897
Birth Year: abt 1872
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Havre
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: La Gascogne

Index to Petitions for Naturalization filed in New York City, 1792-1989
about Pietro Silva Name: Pietro Silva
Birth Date: 24 May 1872
Naturalization Date: 5 Aug 1902
Former Nationality: Italian
Arrival Date: 23 May 1897
Arrival Port: New York, New York
Title and Location of Court: US District Court, Brooklyn, New York
Volume: 31
Record Number: 394

marriage:
Silva Pietro Nov 29 1898 18702 (1898) Manhattan
Cordani Maria Nov 27 1898 18702 (1898) Manhattan
http://stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages ... iangen.org
by ship's manifest the birthplace is no mentioned just Italy; also by passport issued in 1920 for a trip in Italy of Pietro Silva the birthplace is " Piacenza":
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Pete Silva Name: Pete Silva
Birth Date: 24 May 1872
Birth Place: Peaceruza, Italy
Residence: New York City, New York
Passport Issue Date: 21 May 1920
Passport Includes a Photo: Yes

but maybe Gropparello mentioned on genealogic tree could be right...
hoping helful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”