IGI Files?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

IGI Files?

Postby MauroMags » 28 Mar 2006, 02:52

Hello all,

I have located a definite ancestor using LDS online database. Since this ancestor was born "about" 1760 and died 1803 (according to LDS website) I'm pretty sure the LDS researchers did not use Napoleonic civil records, since it predeates 1809.

Under the heading it says "no further information" available. But I'm still wondering if there is any other way to find out where these researchers found this info and why it is now posted on their online database

thanks,
Mauro

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: IGI Files?

Postby ricbru » 28 Mar 2006, 03:04

Hello,
I suggest you to post an inquiry by email to Familysearch web site.
I give you a suggestion, since I had an experience...
don't believe at all those LDS records on line, sometimes who put these infos do it without verifing.
There was a friend of mine who put the birth record of his grandmother, I mean day, month, year and place, and after I researched manually those birth records by myself to the Archivio there was nothing.... and I found her birth act in another place close to that one, and she was born 3 years earlier, and the day was also different.... :roll:
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 31 Mar 2006, 08:33

MauroMags wrote:I have located a definite ancestor using LDS online database. Since this ancestor was born "about" 1760 and died 1803 (according to LDS website) I'm pretty sure the LDS researchers did not use Napoleonic civil records, since it predeates 1809.

Under the heading it says "no further information" available. But I'm still wondering if there is any other way to find out where these researchers found this info and why it is now posted on their online database

Mauro

Hi Mauro,

Since I volunteer at a Family History Center, I wanted to explain what the IGI files are.

The IGI files stand for International Genealogical Index.

This is an index of Temple Ordinances that have been completed by
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints of their
deceased ancestors.

You can check this index to see if an ordinance has already been
completed on your ancestor.

It is also a file that lists several hundred million names of deceased persons from throughout the world. Many names in the index come from vital records from the early 1500s to 1885.

The index is a valuable genealogical resource. It contains: names,
dates, places of birth, christening, or marriage dates. However, you need documentation to prove the information that you've found on the IGI.

Now if at the bottom of the IGI file of your ancestor, does it list a "Batch" number or a "Source" number, or a "film number"?

If a person who submitted the information sourced their references then there should be some type of number so that you can verify the date with the document.

And if there is no source information, the person could have gotten a Death Act from an Italian Church Record that listed the person's age and that's how he came up with the year of birth.

I hope this answers your question.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 31 Mar 2006, 09:08

They also could have gotten a death act from marriage process papers (allegati) from a descendant. I have gotten death records from the middle 1750's this way.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DonnaPellegrin » 31 Mar 2006, 09:10

I have found notations of deaths predating 1809 on atti di pubblicazioni (documents accompanying the marriage act). If a woman was to be married and her father was dead, she needed to provide proof of his death. If she married after 1809 and he died before 1809 there may have been a notation of his death among the marriage documents. I have found a few of these.
Donna Pellegrin

trevisan2
Elite
Elite

Postby trevisan2 » 17 Nov 2006, 15:01

about the IGI, on the batch number on the page somewhere, is a reference number. I have requested a microfilm copy to find out the name and address to the person doing the research. Then you can ask of the sources.

You have to understand that IGI submissions can be very imcomplete. I have seen 10 submissions on my gggrandfather that are imcomplete with the about dates, parish name misspelled ect.

I would only use the IGI as a reference, then do your own research.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provience of Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO

Surnames Melchiori of Oderzo, TV, Vendrame of TV, Rossi of Rai di San Polo, Bonotto of TV.

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 17 Nov 2006, 19:40

trevisan2 wrote:about the IGI, on the batch number on the page somewhere, is a reference number. I have requested a microfilm copy to find out the name and address to the person doing the research. Then you can ask of the sources.

You have to understand that IGI submissions can be very imcomplete. I have seen 10 submissions on my gggrandfather that are imcomplete with the about dates, parish name misspelled ect.

I would only use the IGI as a reference, then do your own research.

Regards,
Trevisan2

Hi Trevisan,

I agree with you 100% that IGI files should only be used as a source. You should ALWAYS PROVE the information with ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION!

However, this too goes with World Trees from Ancestry.com, Genealogy.com, and Roots Web. Always prove the information with actual documentation.

Great Statement you made!:D
Trish
Smile for me!:)

Trish

Professional & Certified Genealogist

Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services

Genealogy-Forum

Return to “Italian Genealogy”