Eannetta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cathymac

Eannetta

Postby cathymac » 29 Mar 2006, 22:00

Hello,

Am wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to trace the origin of my family name Eannetta. My Great-grandfather was Italian and came to Northern Ireland sometime before 1910. He married in Ireland in 1912. I am guessing he was born about 1880-1890 somewhere in northern Italy. It would be great to here from anyone with connections to the Eannetta name who could hopefully help me find out more about his life in Italy before he came to Northern Ireland.

Regards,
Cathy

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Re: Eannetta

Postby Marisa6 » 29 Mar 2006, 23:05

Hi Cathy

Could it be Iannetta?

I am in Scotland. I have many Iannettas in my family, (also spelt Jannetta). They all came from Belmonte Castello in Frosinone. Do you have any names and dates? There are a lot of links between Scots and Irish Italians. Unfortunately this is one branch of my family I haven't done too much research on - yet!

Marisa

cathymac

Postby cathymac » 29 Mar 2006, 23:55

Hi marisa!

Unfortunately I have very little information. My great grandfathers name was Paolo Eannetta. I will check out the other spellings of that name as I have had no sucess with this one so far!. I am new this whole tracing my roots thing but it has bugged me for years. I have my great-grandfathers marriage certificate but no date of birth. When did your Italian connections arrive in Scotland?

I have heard a story in the family that Paolo actually got on the wrong boat. we don't know where he was heading originally!!

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 30 Mar 2006, 00:10

Does the marriage certificate have their ages? =possible year of birth

This link may help.
http://namesdatabase.com/?c=1&t=n&x=EANNETTA+SURNAME
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Postby Marisa6 » 30 Mar 2006, 01:20

Hi Cathy

I have one Paolo Iannetta on my tree. He would have been born probably in the late 1860s/early 1870s. He was married to Beatrice Iannetta, (same surname - not an uncommon occurence). She was born around 1876 in Belmonte Castello, and died on the 14th January 1921. Their children were Lucia, Filomena, Fortunato and Alfredo.

I do not know the names of this Paolo's parents - but Beatrice's parents were Benedetto Iannetta and Lucia Panetta.

What other names are in your tree? There were lots of marriages between families in the villages of the Comino Valley. This practice continued when they came over here. The same surnames tend to recur over and over. In my family there are many marriages between Iannettas and Visocchis.

I will go and see what I can dig out of my files!

Marisa

cathymac

Postby cathymac » 30 Mar 2006, 15:05

Hi marisa!
Wow you really know how to dig into a family tree.

My great-grandfather Paolo married here in Northern ireland - in the village of Fintona. he married a local girl - Cassie ann moore and they had one son - my grandfather. his name was Fortunato. Fortunato's daughter (my mother) is called philomena. there appears to be simalirites in the names. it's possible that they could be related in some way. I am going to the public records office to see I can get birth dates and even the passenager lists from ships to see if can can work out his journey.

Thanks so much for this information. when I get some more I'll let you know!

Cathy

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Postby Marisa6 » 30 Mar 2006, 22:37

Hi Cathy

Thanks for the compliment - although I wouldn't call that digging! My great grandmother, who is my Iannetta connection, died in 1917. Because she died so long ago, breaking close links with Iannetta relatives, I have barely scratched the surface of this family. I have only got as far as doing the early birth, marriage and death listings for Scottish Iannettas.

You will need to get quite inventive with spelling when you are looking through the records. Not only have I seen Iannetta spelt with an I, a Y and a J, but also the number of 'n's and 't's varies. Life gets much easier if you find a search engine that lets you use wildcards!

Italians tended to name their children after their parents in a specific order, although they didn't always stick to it. That means that names tend to run in families. So the similarity in our families' names might well mean that we are related.

Some surnames like Iannetta are so specific to small geographical areas that it is almost inevitable that we will have a link somewhere back down the line. I had one cousin on another side of my family with another unusual Comino Valley surname. We had to get back to 1720 before we found a common ancestor - but we got there!

Get back to me when you find something!

Good luck in your searches

Marisa

mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mahart » 31 Mar 2006, 00:05

Hi Cathy,

I have had a similar experience to that of Marisa in looking for my Italian ancestors in UK civil records, massive variations on spelling of names on census records, even death certificates have arrived to me giving a variation on the first name. I agree I think wild carding on the surnmame is your best chance. My family name I'm researching is Palombella and I found them on the 1891 census listed as Palmbach (transcribed document) it was only that the first names and dates equated to other records I had that I recognised them as my family. As regards to passenger records I hope you have better look than I did. My ancestors came to Liverpool (a port), we have got a maritime museum but not much in the way of passenger lists entering the port. Might be worth checking out the National Archives website.
Anyway if I can get a lead to the passenger lists for Liverpool I look out for your family name in case they passed through Liverpool, you never know the ports of Belfast, Glascow and Liverpool have been closely linked for a long time.
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Postby Marisa6 » 31 Mar 2006, 02:05

The strangest spelling I have ever had came from an 1874 Welsh death certificate that had 'Salfarina Dabedrina' instead of 'Serafina Palombo'!! Its amazing what can happen when an Italian accent meets a regional British one and the informant is illiterate!

Anyone else out there come across any outlandish spellings?

Marisa

nickyg

Postby nickyg » 07 Aug 2012, 13:11

I also have a Dominic Ianetta who married Maria Carmella Grossi I am Nicholas Grosse and live in USA. They immigrated from belmonte Castello Italy to Liverpool England in the 1870's and owned a lodge They were musicians. The people were Pietro Grossi and Matilda Delicata and there several children. They imigrated to Boston Mass in 3 seperate journies starting in about 1885.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”