Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Postby JSaccaro » 09 Apr 2006, 15:24

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am very new to tracing my family history. I have done lots of reading on this forum and I am hoping some of you can help me. I have been tracing my fathers side of the family for awhile now and I am not sure where to go next to verify any of this information. This is what I have so far.
My grandfather is Salvador Saccaro B. 1918 New Orleans
His parents were Ella Blass and Joseph Saccaro (Joseph possibly born in Italy but can't verify)
Joseph's parents were Catherine Provenzano and Salvatore Saccaro.
I know that Catherine and Salvatore came from Italy. I am assuming Sicily because most ships arriving in New Orleans came from there. Problem is, I can't find Catherine, Salvatore or Joseph on any ship manifests to N.O. I have the census from 1900, 1910 and 1920 and it says Salvatore and Catherine arrived sometime after 1890. The 1910 and 1930 arrival years are conflicting and I can't read the 1920 census. I have searched the manifests from Sicily to New Orleans that are available online only. I currently reside in Germany so visiting the library in Louisiana is not possible for the time being. So here are my questions and I hope you can lead me in the right direction.

Are all ship manifests online and available to search or am I able to contact the library and have them search their records?
If the census says Salvatore and Catherine were aliens does that mean they never became citizens?

Also, do you find generally the information on familysearch.org is correct? I found some information on Salvatore's family and I don't know how to verify that this information is correct.

Sorry for the excessive questions. Tracing my family is still very new and I am easily confused. I thought if I just found the names of my great great grandparents I would be happy. But searching for your ancestors is very addictive and quite interesting. :D

Julie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 18:40

Hi I found this record:
CATERINA PROVENZANO
Housewife
F
U
29 May 1897
Italy
Naples
U
New-Orleans
Unknown
Scotia
Unknown

it could be your ancestor? no data for Salvatore
and it is a Giuseppe Saccaro, but emigrated before of Caterina:
Giuseppe Saccaro Occupation Son
Age 15
Sex M
Literacy U
Arrived 24 Oct 1889
Origin Italy
Port Marseilles & Naples
Last Residence U
Destination USA
Plan Unknown
Ship Britannia
Passage Unknown
------ regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JSaccaro » 09 Apr 2006, 19:09

Suanj,

Thanks for the reply. The Catarina that you found could be my great great grandmother. Ancestry.com listed her birthday about 1861. According to your information her birthday would have been 1859. I suppose it's possible it could be the same person. Is there a way to find out for sure?
As for the Giuseppe that you found, I don't think that would be him. Josephs draft card says his birthday is 1892.
I don't know if this will help much but I think Joseph/Giuseppe may have had brothers. According to the 1910 Census, there was an Angelo(same age as Joseph, 17) and Anthony (age 8 ) listed as sons of Salvatore/Salvador and Catherine (but they have her listed as "Katie").
Is it possible that they could have traveled from Sicily to Naples? I mean, I know it's possible but are there records of other families leaving Sicily to sail out of Naples? I never thought they would have gone somewhere else to set sail. I assumed that because Salvatore was from Palermo (according to familysearch.org) that they would have sailed from there.
Thank you suanj for your help. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Julie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 19:16

Hi Julie, Caterina could be... and about Joseph draft card it are the birthplace? about Sicily and Naples sailing, yes is most possible as for many emigrants.... if you can insert the censuses and draftcard that you have (by http://www.imageshack.us/ ) is better for to help.. regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 09 Apr 2006, 19:50

Hi Julie and Suanj,

Are these the records you wish to view?

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imagex7hw.gif

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rge2jh.gif

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3210 ... rge2ao.gif

draft cards:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3967/imagex5dz.gif

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/7645/imagex1wp.gif

I only copied them and haven't really looked them over so I hope they're what you're looking for. Let me know.

Nuccia :D

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 20:40

Nuccia you are great! many thanks!
However I think that we have found:
Provenzano Caterina ship's manifest
married to Saccaro, because in travel was also 2 child :
Francesca Saccaro daughter age 16, and Angelo Saccaro son age 4
I think that Francesca married very soon in in Louisiana, because she don't is on the census... Salvatore head,. most probable came some month before of the family.. the problem is to find the right birthplace now... :? .. best regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JSaccaro » 09 Apr 2006, 21:11

Nuccia,

Thanks for posting that info. It is the same info I got from ancestry.com. I wish on the draft card they had more information about the city/town they were from.

Suanj,

Thanks again for all of your help. I found Francesca Saccaro a few weeks ago but I wasn't sure how she fit in the picture. Did you find her on the ship Iazio or Lazio? They have her on ancestry.com as coming on that ship. It doesn't say from which port she sailed. It's strange that the website doesn't tell me that Angelo and Caterina sailed on the same ship. Was it normal for families to be split up like this one? I wonder if Joseph/Giuseppe came over with Salvatore?

Thank you Nuccia and Suanj for your help! :D

Julie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 21:21

The ship is the same: Scotia; the travel is the same, the date of arrival is the same: 29 May 1897; the port of departure is the same: Napoli; on the ship's manifest also is a child, I think the was some nephew of Caterina : Giuseppe Firmaturea( or similar spelling) and the age seem 6, but the reading is hard... Again: the ship is the same: was all family on Scotia ship, only in two sheets, because Caterina is 124 line, Giuseppe Firmaturo(spell) 125, Francesca 126 line, and Angelo 127 line... easy...
Salvatore for sure came with Giuseppe son, some month before of Caterina, and this is most just, because for sure he before searched a house and the job also for Giuseppe, because they was the adult males in the family, Angelo was a little child...
now is necessary to search Salvatore and Giuseppe ship's manifest in the years 1896/ april1897... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 21:28

However my idea is that your ancestors came from Corleone town... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 09 Apr 2006, 21:35

Hi Everyone,

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Apr 2006, 21:36

:wink: suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Apr 2006, 21:40

DELETED-Duplicate information

jcsm :)

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 09 Apr 2006, 21:44

Hey Joyce,

The link worked! Wooohooo! I knew it would! :D :D :D :D

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Apr 2006, 22:08

Nuccia,

Problem is: they work fine at first, but then some links break & some don't.
WHY?????

Don't count the chickens before the eggs hatch!!!!!!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 09 Apr 2006, 22:25

Nuccia,

I am soooooo SORRY. My computer is running slow this morning, so I quit pulling up your images! You have the 1920 linked, but not page 2?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”