Looking for info on MICHIELI from Padova PD

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Michieli

Looking for info on MICHIELI from Padova PD

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 09:44

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for my great grandfather MICHIELI, Giacinto Luigi's Atto di Nascita. He was born in Padova, between 1873 - 1878. His father was MICHIELI, Gregorio and his mother was Angela Calio Borlin.

Should someone have any information on the MICHIELI family or help me find more about my bisnono, please contact me.

Grazie Mille!

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for info on MICHIELI from Padova PD

Postby jcsm400 » 27 Apr 2006, 10:37

Hi Millie,

Welcome to the forum.

If your great grandfather was born in the comune (town) of Padova, here is a link to the available LDS films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... Padova+2++

Here is a link to find your local LDS-Family History Center, where you can rent the appropriate films. Film rental is abt. $5.50/5.75 per month.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I said if born in the comune of Padova, 'cause this is also the province name. So are you sure that the town of origin is Padova? The town of origin is the key to finding Italian records.

What records/certificates do you have for him? Marriage? Daeth? Ship manifest? Naturalization papers?Census records? If you can give more information, we can help you to obtain these if you don't have them.

Hope this helps some.

jcsm

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Apr 2006, 18:09

Michieli wrote:Hello everybody,

I'm looking for my great grandfather MICHIELI, Giacinto Luigi's Atto di Nascita. He was born in Padova, between 1873 - 1878. His father was MICHIELI, Gregorio and his mother was Angela Calio Borlin.

Should someone have any information on the MICHIELI family or help me find more about my bisnono, please contact me.

Grazie Mille!

Hello,
you can also contact Archivio di Stato di Padova (Padova state archive) where you can find his military records, like draft cards.
Draft cards tells exact date and place of birth (are you sure he was born in the town of Padova? or in a town , hamlet belonging to the province of Padova?)

bye Riccardo
bye Riccardo

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 21:34

Hello all!!

YES, we are pretty sure he was born in the town of Padova. Matter of fact, we found out the family had been living in via San Gregorio for years and pulled up the records of his brother in that same town. We haven't been able to find his records 'cause we are not sure when he was born exactly.

We know he migrated to Brazil and claimed to be 21 yo when he got married on 4/17/1895 - as stated in the church records and marriage certificate. His death certificate also states he was 53 when he died on 1/12/1928. That information took us to the year 1874 and that's how we found out that 1874 was the year of birth of his brother Tommazo (7/15/1874), who migrated and died in the USA. So, that leads us to the conclusion that 1) either he was born in 1873 (between May and October) or 2) lied about his age to comply with the Brazilian laws and get married with his 16-yo bride. In that case, he was probably born between 1875 and 1878.

As a starter, I'll send the Achivio di Stato a letter requesting a 1873 Registro di Leva and see what I get. I'll also browse familysearch.org for the films. Tks very much for your tips.

I'm all ears for further suggestions that y'all or anybody else may have!

Grazie Mille!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Apr 2006, 21:47

Michieli wrote:Ciao, Riccardo!

YES, we are pretty sure he was born in the town of Padova. Matter of fact, we found out the family had been living in via San Gregorio for years and pulled up the records of his brother in that same town. We haven't been able to find his records 'cause we are not sure when he was born exactly.

We know he migrated to Brazil and claimed to be 21 yo when he got married on 4/17/1895 - as stated in the church records and marriage certificate. His death certificate also states he was 53 when he died on 1/12/1928. That information took us to the year 1874 and that's how we found out that 1874 was the year of birth of his brother Tommazo (7/15/1874), who migrated and died in the USA. So, that leads us to the conclusion that 1) either he was born in 1873 (between May and October) or 2) lied about his age to comply with the Brazilian laws and get married with his 16-yo bride. In that case, he was probably born between 1875 and 1878.

As a starter, I'll send the Achivio di Stato a letter requesting a 1873 Registro di Leva and see what I get. Tks very much for your tips.

I'm all ears for further suggestions that you or anybody else may have!

Grazie Mille!

Ciao Michieli
after you find his date and place of birth, you can request, alway to Archivio di Stato di Padova a copy of his birth act, or you can request a birth certificate to

Comune di Padova
Ufficio di Stato Civile
palazzo Orologio, piazza Capitaniato, 2 - 35139 Padova
email: archivio.statociv@comune.padova.it

bye Riccardo

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 22:46

Riccardo, do you know if the Archivio di Stato will be able to pull up his military records if I provide them only with the year of birth w/o a date?

JCSMJ, I've found the films I need on the website you suggested. This might sound silly but I wonder if I need any kind of especial equipment to visualize them.

Grazie, all!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Apr 2006, 22:49

Michieli,
provide them your ancestor name and last name, place of birth, and approx. year range of birth. I guess they have an index.
I know from suanj the people working in there are very gentle and reliable, they like their job.
So go for it.
Good luck
bye Riccardo

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 22:59

Riccardo, what's the difference between a Birth Act and a Birth Certificate? Are both valid to kick off the citizenship process?

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Apr 2006, 23:12

The birth act (atto di nascita) is the real record, it has many informations, it can be found at Archivio di Stato or to civil record office of town hall (Comune -Ufficio di Stato civile) but not good for citizienship process.
The birth certificate (certificato di nascita)is that kind of document where you find written name of baby, date and place of birth, and name of parents. It is an abstract of birth act.
If you need a birth certificate, it can be issued only by the civil record office (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where your ancestor was born.
If you need a birth certificate of citizien process you need that one Formato Plurilingue (Plurilingual format)
A copy of the birth act can be requested to either Archivio di Stato and Comune-Ufficio di Stato Civile.
I hope I was clear,
bye Riccardo

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 23:33

Riccardo,

As far as I understood, the Atto di Nascita can be found at both the Achivio di Stato di Padova and the Ufficio di Stato Civile, which will help me but doesn't meet the requirements for the citizenship process. If I can find a 1873 Registro di Leva/Atto di Nascita at the Archivio di Stato, that will lead me to the Certificato di Nascita (Formato Plurilingue) at the Ufficio di Stato Civile, which is what I need to kick off the citizenship process. Is that correct?

Also, is there a cost for that? Should I send them an int'l money order or something like that? If yes, how much?

Grazie!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 27 Apr 2006, 23:43

The Archivio di Stato gives you the informations, telling you the right date and place of birth.
After that you contact the Comune- Ufficio di Stato civile, and send them a request, in italian, for an "estratto dell'atto di nascita-formato plurilingua per cittadinanza"
When you send the request to Ufficio di Stato civile, attach to it a photocopy of your ID + envelpe + international reply coupon (so they surely write you back). The birth certificate has no cost.
Good luck,
bye Riccardo

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 27 Apr 2006, 23:44

I got it. :)

Grazie Mille!

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 28 Apr 2006, 03:14

Millie,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

No, Your Family History Center has the equipment needed to view the films. I also heard that some FHC's are equipped with digital systems (?) that allow you to buy a CD and get all the images of the records that you want, then view @ your leisure @ home, instead of using a viewer for hours at the center, which I have to do!

Oh well! That's life.

Also, want to mention that the birth act will show occupations and also son of, daughter of, many times & the certificate doesn't.

Keep us posted
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Michieli

Postby Michieli » 28 Apr 2006, 06:14

Tks, J! I will. By the way:

Indice decennale dei nati 1871-1881 -- Indice decennale dei matrimoni 1882-1891 -- Nati ed allegati 1871-1873

What does "Nati ed allegati " mean?

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 28 Apr 2006, 07:57

I believe it means process of birth, but you may want to pm one of our Italian members: suanj, ricbru, inciput just to name a few.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”