If anyone could Please help me as I am begining my start on tracing family history. The details of what I know are sketchy. I was originally told my Grandfather was born in Italy (Frank Strangis) now I have been told that he was born in Brockton, Plymouth, Massachusetts. He died in Niagara Falls, NY. Now it is said that my Grandfather (Frank Strangis) went back with my GGF (again it is frank strangis (we think anyways)) with my GGrandmother Julia Strangis. Only my great grandmother and grandfather returned. However, some search I have done shows that my great grand father may have returned to the US as well. I do know that they are from or lived in Raztozano,Calabria. This is all so confusing. I know that my grandfather did not talk about the history or his father much, originally it was said that there was a tragic death or military/ware involvement and this is why my GGmother and Grandfather left. Only I am not sure....anyone have any help? ideas? or how do you search when you know very little?
1930 US Census Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY
2210 MacKenna Ave
- Raymond VITULLO, 64 yrs old (abt 1865), married at age 30 (abt 1895), immig 1882 Na, cleaner - alkali co.
- wife Mary, 57 yrs old (abt 1872), married age 19, immig 1895 Na
- daughter Julia STRANGIS, 32 yrs old (abt 1897), widow, married age 15 (abt 1912), born in NY, housework - private family
- son Frank Vitullo, 22 yrs old (abt 1907), born in NY, parents born in Italy, sorter in laundry
- daughter Carmella (Millie?) Vitullo, 15 yrs old (abt 1914), born in NY, parents born in Italy
- grandson Frank STRANGIS, 12 yrs old (abt 1917), born in MA, father born in Italy, mother born in NY
1920 US Census Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY
2210 MacKenna Ave - RaymondVETELLO (VITULLO), 53 yrs old (abt 1866), immig 1893 Na 1897, laborer - alkali plant
- wife Mary, 44 yrs old (abt 1875), immig 1890
children all born in NY except Millie
- daughter Allse, 21 yrs old (abt 1898), laborer - US Light & Heat
- son John, 18 yrs old (abt 1901), laborer - US Light & Heat
- son Nick, 16 yrs old (abt 1903), barber - shop
- son Frank, 13 yrs 9 mos old (abt 1916)
- daughter Millie, 5 yrs old (abt 1914), born in Canada
1900 US Census Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY
- Raymond BETULA (VITULLO), Oct 1861- 38 yrs old, married 5 yrs ago (abt 1895),
immig 1888 in US 12 yrs, Pa (filed 1st papers), day laborer, rents house, has 6 boarders
- wife Mary, Aug 1878 - 21 yrs old, 3 children born/3 living, immig 1893 in US 7 yrs
- daughter Julia, Mar 1896 (1897) - 4 yrs old, born in NY
- son Lartanduche? (Alex), Aug 1897 (1898) - 2 yrs old, born in NY
- son Joe, Mar 1900 - 2 mos old, born in NY
1910 census for Great grandparents & granfather, Frank, born abt 1899 in New York
Last name STRANGIS -Brockton. MA Napoleon-head-age 50 Italy-immig. 1887?-occu:cobbler in shoe factoty Maria-wife-age 37 Italy-immig 1894 Gorge-son-14 NY Frank-son-11 NY Lena-daug-7 MA Florence-daug-6 MA
1930 US Census for VITULLO & STRANGIS in Niagara Falls, NY
-- If Julia VITULLO is ___ STRANGIS wife... (living with her father & mother in 1930)
-- If Frank 1917 STRANGIS is ____ STRANGIS & Julia VITULLO's son... (living with his mother & grandparents)
-- If Julia's husband is deceased in 1930, was his name Frank STRANGIS??
-- Where was Julia & family in 1920??
Suggestion: start with what you know, find information, see where it leads.
Imageshack is giving me trouble now. Tried linking 1930 census 3X
Will try again later or tomorrow, if not already done by someone else.
Written info for above 1920 census Last name STRANGIS living in Brockton, MA Napoleon-head-60(?) Italy-immi 1889-naturalization pending-occu:cobbler Mary-wife-50(?) Italy-immig 1889-Alien Frank-son-20 NY-occu:cutter in shoe factory Lena-daug-14(/) MA-occuc: baser(?) in shoe factory