Strangis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
52 posts • Page 4 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Re: Strangis

Postby jcsm400 » 05 May 2006, 02:20

EStrangis

Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: Strangis

[hr]

Hi Everyone,

First, I want to apologize for any confusion I may have created. :oops: :oops: I got "Stuck" on following my research path when Beth verified that WWI Draft Registration Card that I posted a link to was her grandfather, Frank Joseph Strangis. It's not. It is for Beth's great uncle, who married Florence as per the 1930 census information (Brockton, MA).

The following is based on the additional information that Beth supplied in the above post, all census information & ship manifests. This is my conclusion, it is only a possiblity & needs to be documented & verified by Beth.

Since we now know that Frank of the WWI draft card is your (Beth's) great uncle, this means that George Strangis (b. 1896 MA), son of Napoleon Strangis & Maria Giuseppa (Petronia) Strangis (see 1920 Brockton, MA census & ship manifest arrival of 8/21/1919) was your great, grandfather & his wife was Julie Vitullo. Their son Frank J. Strangis (b. 1917 MA) listed on 1930 Niagara Falls, NY census living with his widowed mother, Julie & her parents, Raymond & Mary Vitullo & their family would be Beth's grandfather. His wife is Dorothy??

On great, grandfather, George Strangis b. 1896 MA) & wife, Julie: From the 1930 census Niagara Falls, NY, we have the info that Julie (age 32, b. 1898) is a widow & was married at age 15=abt. 1913 and George died 1930 or before. Their marriage most likely took place in MA, possible in Brockton.

Again, this is my conclusion, a possibility, on the generations for Beth's family.

Beth, vj, Nuccia, please let me know what you think.

jcsm :)

[hr]

WWI Draft Registration Card for a George Strangis in Brockton, MA

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/3473 ... ard1gu.jpg

WWI information on a Frank Strangis, Born 1917 Niagara Falls, NY
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
about Frank J Strangis
Name: Frank J Strangis
Birth Year: 1917
Race: White, citizen
Nativity State or Country: Massachusetts
State: New York
County or City: Niagara

Enlistment Date: 4 Feb 1942
Enlistment State: New York
Enlistment City: Fort Niagara Youngstown
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: 1 year of high school
Civil Occupation: Pipe Fitter or Steam Fitter* (Pipe fitter, railway. ) or Plumber* An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test.
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 67

Pssible death informationon grandfather, Frank Strangis:

Social Security Death Index

View Record Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence
(City,County,State)

View Record Frank J. Strangis 10 May 1917 16 Apr 2003 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby vj » 05 May 2006, 05:02

Great Grandmother?
from SSDI
Name: Julia STRANGIS
SSN: 067-30-1251
Last Residence: 14304 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York, United States of America
Born: 8 Jul 1897
Died: Dec 1974 State (Year)
SSN issued: New York (1953-1955 )
vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 May 2006, 06:38

1900 US Census
Niagara Falls, Niagara, NY
Pine Ave
- Raymond BETULA (VITULLO), Oct 1861- 38 yrs old, married 5 yrs ago (abt 1895),
immig 1888 in US 12 yrs, Pa (filed 1st papers), day laborer, rents house, has 6 boarders
- wife Mary, Aug 1878 - 21 yrs old, 3 children born/3 living, immig 1893 in US 7 yrs
- daughter Julia, Mar 1896 (1897) - 4 yrs old, born in NY
- son Lartanduche? (Alex), Aug 1897 (1898) - 2 yrs old, born in NY
- son Joe, Mar 1900 - 2 mos old, born in NY
vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 05 May 2006, 09:04

Another researcher:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/messa ... alvucci/12

message from 2001:
My mother's, father's, mother's, mother was Carmela Amicone from Agnone, Italy. She married Giovanni (John) D'Eugenio and had 3 daughters. Filomena (Florence), Addolsata (Dorothy) and Maria (Mary, my great grandmother).
Maria married Raimondo (Raymond) Vitullo - who I think is from Campobasso.

They came to the U S around 1898 and settled in Niagara Falls, both in the U S and Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info from above post, possible GGG Grandmother Carmella AMICORE
& GGG Grandfather Giovanni D'EUGENIO

Ship Manifest SS Alsatia 18 Nov 1898
lines 4-6
- Carmella AMICORE, 47 yrs old (abt 1851), last residence Agnone (Campobasso, Molise?), joining husband Giovanni D'EUGENIO, at 710 9th St, Niagara Falls, NY,
born in Campobasso
- daughter Addolsata, 16 (or 26?) yrs old, joining father
- daughter Filomena, 12 yrs old, joining father
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0006
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0006
vj
Master
Master

Postby EStrangis » 06 May 2006, 08:44

You guys have provided me with a TON of information, and I am sorry it takes me so long to respond with working full time and school full time (finals this week) maybe I picked a bad day to start my research. I am going to use all the information you gave me, and I am going to wait and see what my aunt helen has to say. I think she may be able to clear the air, in the mean time I am going to use what you gave me and continue researching. I'm still here, so please don't think I have given up or am lacking attention, But again I think I need to await to speak to Helen. I think that what jcsm400 posted above is all accurate, but I want to confirm. To think, a history class is what got me so interested in knowing my past. I again really appreciate the help and starting point you all have given me.
EStrangis

Postby jcsm400 » 06 May 2006, 09:12

Good idea to wait & hear what aunt Helen has to say.

Hope all your finals go well & say hi to your grandma from me, a Polish descendant. Always wished that mine had taught me to speak it, but she wouldn't. Oh well!

Til later,

jcsm :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby EStrangis » 11 Mar 2009, 02:57

Okay so years later, I am attempting this again. I reviewed the last information and forwarded to my Aunt. The below is new information I have been able to find out.
My Grandfather (Frank J Strangis) was born may 10th 1917 in Pittsfield Massachusetts to Francesco and Julia Strangis. Her maiden name was Vitullo. They then lived in Chicago till my grandfather was about 2 then moved to his fathers hometown of Sambiase Calabria, Italy. I know they did not live in Brockton Mass. and his fathers name was definitely Francesco. Grandma has his birth certificate and I have seen it. I believe grandpa and his mother Julia returned to Niagara Falls either 1929 or 1930 and moved in with her parents, Raemondo and Mary Vitullo.Marys maiden name was D'Eugenio and she was grandpas grandmother. Grandpas father must have had siblings because grandpa had a first cousin named Augustine Strangis who came from Italy in the late 1950's or early 1960's with his wife Katherine and his children Anthony and Helen(nicknamed Sarah) and settled in Niagara Falls Ontario. I also know there was a cousin Pasquale who at least about 7 or 8 years ago lived in Arizona because he contacted grandpa a couple of times. I don't know if his last name was Strangis or not. He could have been a sisters child, if grandpas father had any sisters. Grandpa served in WW2 not WW1 and was shot in Sicily. Your dad was born in 1950, my sister in 1954,Uncle Phil in 1957 and I was born in 1963. Grandpas mothers siblings were Joseph, John(went by the nickname of Jack), Al, Frank,Nick,Carmella(Aunt Millie) and a sister Margaret who died when she was about 9 or 10. I don't know if grandpas father was alive when he and his mother came back to the states, or if he remarried or ever came back to the States. I would love to know his dads family history. Also grandpas mother Julia was born in Buffalo and she married in Niagara Falls when she was 15. She had grandpa when she was 19. She was born in 1898 and died december 12th 1974 when she was 76. Her mother Mary was from Campo bosso Italy and her father Raemondo was from Agnone Italy which I believe is in Abruzzo. I hope th is helps and if you want to give this to the Italian genealogy website maybe they can find out more info.

Is any of the previous information relevant? I'm really confused.
EStrangis

Previous

52 posts • Page 4 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Return to Italian Genealogy