Important information about Canadian Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Important information about Canadian Census

Postby nuccia » 10 May 2006, 05:36

Found this article today that I wanted you all to see...

[b]Nanaimo Bulletin article

Census Question Worries Genealogists

Apr 13 2006

One small question on the May census could have a major impact for people researching their family history.

Statistics Canada is asking people to answer whether they want their census information released after a 92-year period. If people choose no, that information will be kept confidential forever.

And that has Sid Norman, president of the Nanaimo Family History Society, worried.

“People doing research in the future will never be able to look at census records which are really a mainstay in genealogy research,â€Â

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Important information about Canadian Census

Postby wldspirit » 10 May 2006, 05:58

We already are......remember the site I used to track down "Gertrude's address"........it is in the process of being taken apart......under Homeland security, accessing public records is going to be a priviledge reserved for the nuts in Washington..........walk into any county courthouse and ask for a death record and you will be reported to the feds...........how ironic that the idiot running our country is limiting access to records, but we have thousands of illegal immigrants swarming into this country daily.......so much for security!!!
wldspirit

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 10 May 2006, 06:10

wldspirit wrote:We already are......remember the site I used to track down "Gertrude's address"........it is in the process of being taken apart......under Homeland security, accessing public records is going to be a priviledge reserved for the nuts in Washington..........walk into any county courthouse and ask for a death record and you will be reported to the feds...........how ironic that the idiot running our country is limiting access to records, but we have thousands of illegal immigrants swarming into this country daily.......so much for security!!!
wldspirit

This is absurd! There are so many more important issues facing this world and yet somew idiots who want to forget their past so badly have to bother with this! What's the point in remembering The War Vets and Independence Day, etc if the past isn't important anymore? So much for "Lest We Forget..."

Nuccia :D

hcoene1

Postby hcoene1 » 30 Aug 2006, 02:33

I haven't run into any problems in the USA...yet. Everyone has been very helpful and very open. I think our 75 year confidentiality law is too long. Canada seems to be going in the wrong direction. I hope this all sorts out well. We need more info not less.
H Thomas Coene
Caledonia, NY
585-538-6149

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 30 Aug 2006, 04:51

hcoene1 wrote:I haven't run into any problems in the USA...yet. Everyone has been very helpful and very open. I think our 75 year confidentiality law is too long. Canada seems to be going in the wrong direction. I hope this all sorts out well. We need more info not less.

Not really sure if anyone is going in the right direction these days. I know that certain states have already put limits on their public records. I believe Colorado was one of them.

Wldspirit and Trish may have more details and hopefully they will share with us.

nuccia :D

Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eleven » 30 Aug 2006, 10:54

I believe you can get old records here in the usa quite easily..its the more recent records that they give you a harder time over. I cant recall what I sent for, for my father in law and they asked me to show proof that I was a relative.

Also, I believe at some point after the 1930 census, there isnt any info on usa censuses...I think it was just a headcount and no other info. Not sure what year they began that...so our recent cenuses, up until today, will contain no information useful to genealogists wanting to research, anyway.

I dont think they will go in the opposite direction here in the usa and stop giving the information we are able to get now.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”