DiGuglielmo, Carappolo, Lamannis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Grneyed102

Post by Grneyed102 »

My geneology research started with an assist to my son with a social studies project. Am hitting brick walls for my great-grandfather, Francesco DiGuglielmo, who came through Ellis Island in the easrly 1900s (found it there), my great-grandmother whose surname is (according to family stories) Caroppolo (sp?) and who used many different first names (Maria, Mary, Julia, Sceppia) and my fiance\'s father\'s family - Lamannis. I cannot find anything on Caroppolo coming through Ellis Island. My fiance\'s father came to the US through Canada in the late 1950s. He remembers relatives in Toronto in the early 70s and that his father\'s sister, Mary, died in the mid 60s. Cannot find anything on Lamannis, except another man with my fiance\'s exact name in VA. Any help would be most appreciated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your inquiry is a bit difficult to unerstand. From what I gather you have a name for Carappolo but have no first name and don;t even know if it is a correct last name. Further, you have no first name and provide no information except a last name Lammannis. Since they all involve entry into the USA as immigrants I woiuld thinkl th best thing for yhou to do is file a form 81 with NARA. Go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm for the form 81. Peter
Grneyed102

Post by Grneyed102 »

Peter - Have found my great-grandfather - Francesco DiGuglielmo in Ellis Island research, but where do I find his parents in Avellino - parents are Antonio and Katerina according to the death certificate. My great-grandmother Maria Julia Sceppia Caroppolo (sp?) is no where to be found in any records. Am still trying to obtain her death certificate under the name she used in the US - Mary Williams (she died in 1964). As for my fiance\'s family - his father\'s name is Salvatore Lamannis and came to the US through Toronto, where he had family. He had a sister who died in the mid 1960s there whose name was Mary. I have requested info from NARA and there are no records for any of these people. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

are you sure the towen of origin in Avellino or is it the province of Averllino? Either way you can obtain his birth record but you need the town of origin first. Were they married in Italy? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

where di she die in the USA or Canada? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way just what do you want to know about Lamannis??? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You can trace Lammanis entry by going to www.archives.ca/02/020292-e.html........ There may be a small fee. Peter
Grneyed102

Post by Grneyed102 »

Peter - Thanks for the prompt reply! Frank and Mary Williams (DiGuglielmo) were married in the US in either Brooklyn or in the mid-Hudson Valley (where I grew up). The story goes that it was an arranged marriage. Mary died in the summer of 1964 while in a nursing home, but I remember that she went to a hospital from the nursing home. I checked with Vital records in Ulster County (where the nursing home is located), but they sent me the wrong Mary Williams. I am in the process of checking with Dutchess County vital records (more hospitals there and closer than the ones in Ulster County).
<BR>
<BR>As for Lamannis, we know nothing except my fiance\'s father\'s name is Salvatore Lamannis; he had a sister named Mary who dies in the mid 1960s in Canada from an allergic reaction to antibiotics; there were relatives in Toronto in the 1970s that my fiance visited with his biological parents; he thinks he remembers receiving packages from his paternal grandmother from Catanzaro (he remembered this from friends of mine whose last name is Catanzaro); he remembers that his father came to Canada in the late 1950s and married his mother in Niagara Falls, NY in 1960. Consequently, we are looking for any and all info we can find. I have found that Lamannis is not a common name and has not deviated from when ancestors came from Greece to Italy ages and ages ago. Apparently, the \"clan\" was tradesmen by sea since I have found the name Lamannis all over the world from Pakistan to Madegascar to Central America. Hope this further info helps. Thanks!
<BR>
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

go to that canadian website I gave you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In addition to that website you might want to consider writing to the only two Lamannis surnamed persons in Calabria. There is one in Catanzaro and the other in Gimigliano. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Lamanmnis in the first line and Calabria in the third lione and bothj surnames by fulkl name,address and telephone number will shwo up. Call or write them and ask if they are rrelated to your fiancee.Peter
Grneyed102

Post by Grneyed102 »

Pater - Have tried all you suggestions already without luck. Am unsure if it is Avellino the town or the province for Francesco. Everyone of the children of Frank and Mary are either passed on or are suffering from Alzhiemers (even though there were 12 children).
<BR>
<BR>With regard to the Lamannis tree, the archives in Canada do not seem to be as recent as the 1960s and 70s. Also tried the white page directory for Canada without success. There is a listing for a Serafino Lamannis in the Auburn, NY area, but my fiance has yet to call him.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

what about form 81 to NARA?? Peter