Search for the Merlini Family from San Benedetto Del Tronto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PWJones

Search for the Merlini Family from San Benedetto Del Tronto

Postby PWJones » 22 May 2006, 22:48

I am setting out to trace any remaining family that I may have in Italy.
I know that my Great Grandfather, Giacomo Merlini was born in or near to San Benedetto del Tronto in 1867 or 1868. He came to Cardiff Wales, UK when he was very young , around 15, and subsequently married and settled here
I believe that he had at least one brother, Antonio, and that his son Frederick married a cousin, Maria Merlini ,from San Benedetto in the 1920s or 30s. I believe that she returned to Italy as a teacher of English and died in the 1950s
I would be pleased to here from anyone with any link with this family or any knowledge of them.
Wayne Jones
I joined this site to trace my Italian roots. My Great Grandfather Giacomo Merlini was born in San Benedetto Del Tronto in 1867. I have now been able to trace my descent back to his Grandfather Pasquale Merlini born 02/04/1807 thanks to site members.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Search for the Merlini Family from San Benedetto Del Tro

Postby nuccia » 22 May 2006, 23:30

Here's a link to the phone listings in Italy with your surname..

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=

Hope it helps some.
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 22 May 2006, 23:30

Hi Wayne,

I don't have world ancestry.com, to look for your family, but I'm sure another member will come along & check it out for you.

I did check for LDS (Mormans) films for the town of San Benedetto Del Tronto in the province of Ascoli Piceno & did not find any.

Since you need to know the town of birth to trace the family, you should see if he was born in this town & get his birth act. Here is the address to write.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di San Benedetto Del Tronto
63039 SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO (AP)
ITALY

Letter should be in Italian & include return envelope, copy of your photo ID & International Reply Coupon (obtain @ local post office).

Hope this helps.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 23 May 2006, 00:27

Could this be your Fredrick?

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1585 ... ge24ao.gif

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 23 May 2006, 00:57

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Wayne,

I don't have world ancestry.com, to look for your family, but I'm sure another member will come along & check it out for you.

I did check for LDS (Mormans) films for the town of San Benedetto Del Tronto in the province of Ascoli Piceno & did not find any.

Since you need to know the town of birth to trace the family, you should see if he was born in this town & get his birth act. Here is the address to write.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di San Benedetto Del Tronto
63039 SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO (AP)
ITALY

Letter should be in Italian & include return envelope, copy of your photo ID & International Reply Coupon (obtain @ local post office).

Hope this helps.

Hello,
I also suggest you to contact Ascoli Piceno State Archive and request his military draft card, so you know right place and date of birth, and name of parents

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... 0PICENO%22

bye Riccardo

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 23 May 2006, 04:23

Hi There, I found this in the 1901 British Census. The wife was Sophia (b. 1872), children are: Fred (b. 1895), Irene (b. 1896), Ovid (b. 1897)

Name: James Merlini
Age in 1901: 33
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Relation: Head
Household: View other family members
Where born: Italian, Italy
Civil parish: Canton
Ecclesiastical parish: Canton St Paul
County/Island: Glamorgan
Source information: RG13/4988
Registration district: Cardiff
Sub-registration district: West Cardiff
ED, institution, or vessel: 28
Folio: 157
Page: 61 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 343

I found this in the BMD Birth records

Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Mother's Maiden Name District County

Frederick James W Merlini 1894 Oct-Nov-Dec Cardiff Glamorgan, Monmouthshire

Irene Lavinia M Merlini 1896 Jan-Feb-Mar Cardiff Glamorgan, Monmouthshire

Ovida Quennie A Merlini 1905 Oct-Nov-Dec Cardiff Glamorgan, Monmouthshire

Ovidio Quirino W Merlini 1897 Apr-May-Jun Cardiff Glamorgan, Monmouthshire

Romolus Darwin S Merlini 1907 Apr-May-Jun Cardiff Glamorgan, Monmouthshire

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983 Record

Name: James Merlim (Could be Merlini)
Year of Registration: 1893
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Cardiff (1837-1974)
County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 432

The links below may also help you

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

http://www.coraweb.com.au/ukgeneral.htm

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

Andy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Andy » 23 May 2006, 07:21

Hi Wayne,
Contact Giuseppe Merlini <merlinig@libero.it> He is a geneologist in
San Benedetto del Tronto He will be able to help you.

Andy

PWJones

Postby PWJones » 23 May 2006, 12:33

Many thanks to all who replied on this. All of this information has been extremely helpful. I am travelling to Italy on Friday for a cycling holiday based at Riccione which is a short train ride from San Benedetto so I will be following this up soon.
Wayne Jones
I joined this site to trace my Italian roots. My Great Grandfather Giacomo Merlini was born in San Benedetto Del Tronto in 1867. I have now been able to trace my descent back to his Grandfather Pasquale Merlini born 02/04/1807 thanks to site members.

PWJones

Postby PWJones » 08 Jul 2006, 17:03

PWJones wrote:Many thanks to all who replied on this. All of this information has been extremely helpful. I am travelling to Italy on Friday for a cycling holiday based at Riccione which is a short train ride from San Benedetto so I will be following this up soon.
Wayne Jones

Message to Andy: Can't thank you enough for putting me in touch with Guiseppe Merlini. On 30th May I travelled to San Benedetto Del Tronto to meet him . Despite being very busy he gave me a tour of the old town, showed me the house in which my Great Grandmother had lived and provide me with a significant details of my family tree going back to 1807.
He further explained that our respective branches of the Merlini family diverged at the end of the 16th Century. I am now on the track of Merlinis who emigrated to America and have many leads to follow.
The triple coincidence of being directed to a Genealogist with the same family name who lives in the same town in which my Great Grandfather was born was amazing, especially as he was already aware of my Great Grandfather's story! Many thanks once again.Wayne

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 08 Jul 2006, 20:33

Hi Wayne,

Glad your trip was a successful one and that you were able to further your research.

kep us posted on how it goes and let us know if you need anything else!

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare

PWJones

Postby PWJones » 08 Jul 2006, 20:57

Thank you Nuccia,
I have just been labouring over composing an E mail in Italian to a man with whom I share a Great Great Grandmother. He is not a Merlini but a Sciarra as she had children with two partners, only one of whom (my Great Great Grandfather) was she married to.
Looks as if she took on a 23 year old toyboy at the age of 37, although it should be said that she was widowed by this time. Having given her a child he subsequently beat it to the U.S. leaving her behind! All good interesting stuff!
Regards, from Wales.
Wayne

Andy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Andy » 08 Jul 2006, 23:32

Hi Wayne,
Glad I could be of help. Some of the Merlini's that came to the U.S. are
related to me. Giuseppe Merlini born in 1874 married my grandfather's
sister Tomasina. If you make a connection with him I can provide you with
a tree of his family in the U.S. He is related to the Merlini that you met in San Benedetto.

Andy

PWJones

Postby PWJones » 09 Jul 2006, 17:09

Andy, Yes my knowledge of the Italian family history formerly comprised a few half remebered anecdote from my Father's childhood memories of his Grandfather. Guiseppe was able to give me an amazing amount of qualitative information especially considering how long ago some of these things took place. He told me that his branch of the Merlinis and mine diverged at the end of the 16th Century.
Looking at the family tree my Grandfather's two uncles, Francesco , born 1847 and Guiseppe,(?) born 1845 , both emigrated to "America" (apparently this could mean North or South America)..but I don't know when. Their father was Pasquale Merlini born 1807
Wayne

elidau

Postby elidau » 27 Jan 2010, 18:44

Andy,

I know it has been some time since your post, but I am hoping you will still get this. I am working on a school project and happened to come across this page. My mother's dad is Fulvio Merlini. Fulvio's parents were Giuseppi Merlini and Tomasina Ciarrocchi, making them my great-grandparents. You said you have more information on the family? Not only for my school project would this information be helpful, but my mom is very interested in tracing back the family. I believe she was trying for some time to keep in contact with the genealogist Giuseppi Merlini you spoke of. If you get this, would you be able to get in contact with me?

Thank you so much!

Hope to hear form you soon,

Elizabeth

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 27 Jan 2010, 19:09

Hello Elizabeth!
While you're waiting to hear from Andy, you could also start your own topic.
If you let the members here know what you are looking for (US records, Italian records) they may be able to help.
We would need to know
- where did your family live, other family members, etc
- what records do you already have
Thank you!
Valarie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”