Rinella from Caccamo, Palermo, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lovedr78

Rinella from Caccamo, Palermo, Sicily

Post by lovedr78 »

I posted on here before and got quite a bit of help, now I need some more. I have a reunion in two weeks and am trying to trace the family patiarch before then. Here's what I know:

Gusieppe Rinella:

Born - 18 March 1889 in Caccamo, Palermo, Sicily, Italy
Died - 14 August 1961 in Marion, Williamson, Illinois, USA
Arrived in US aboard the Konig Albert on 18 May 1904
Married - 15 April 1915 in Marion, Williamson, Illinois, USA
Naturalized in 24 September 1945 in Marion, Williamson, Illinois, USA

I have the following documents about him:
1930 US Census
1920 US Census
WWI Registration Card
Declartion on Intention
Petition for Naturalization
Ship Manifest

I can't find his parents, although according to naming tradtion and the best guesses of his four surviving children thier names where Anthony and Katherine (Americanized) Rinella, they lived and died in Caccamo and had something like 12 or 14 children.

I know Guiseppe had an older brother Fillipo (b. abt 1874 in Caccamo), which I've found in Chicago and an older brother Nunzio (which I believe is Earnest when Americianized?) about whom I've found nothing other than a mention in Guiseppe's ship manifest.

I can't seem to find anything more documentation about Guiseppe or Fillipo and nothing so far has had anything about his parents. I don't suppose there is a free English version of the Caccamo Birth records available online that I could just search? Anyway I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone. You guys are awesome.

Thanks,

Matt
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Rinella from Caccamo, Palermo, Sicily

Post by nuccia »

Have you seen this?

Maria Amodeo
Born: 1 Dec 1879
Termini Imerese, Sicily
Died: 28 Aug 1953
Chicago, [county], IL, USA
Edit person's info Edit person's info
Suggested parentI've added/acceptedAlternatesI've added/modifiedSuggested by OneWorldTree
Spouse/Children
Fillippo A Rinella

* Lena Rinella (B: 1902)
* Anthony Rinella (B: 1904)
* James Paul Rinella (B: 1905)
* August Rinella (B: 1907)

Page Tools

* Edit person's infoEdit person's info
* Bookmark this Person
* Contact Ancestry members interested in this personContact Ancestry members interested in this person

* Family
* Source Records
* Family Facts

Family Groups

Spouse Remove this family
Fillippo A Rinella
Born: 24 Apr 1872 in Termini Imerese, Sicily
Died: 23 Oct 1959 in Chicago, [county], IL, USA Edit
Marriage: Add Marriage Information
Children Sex Birth
Lena Rinella F 1902 Edit
Anthony Rinella M 1904 Edit
James Paul Rinella M 4 May 1905 Edit
August Rinella M 1907 Edit
Add a child

or parents...

Antonio Rinella
Born: 13 Apr 1830
Termini Immerese, Sicily
Died:

Edit person's info Edit person's info
Suggested parentI've added/acceptedAlternatesI've added/modifiedSuggested by OneWorldTree
Spouse/Children
Antonina Cutrara

* Giuseppe Rinella (B: 1869)
* Fillippo A Rinella (B: 1872)
* Maria A Rinella (B: 1874)
* Antonino Rinella (B: 1876)

Page Tools

* Edit person's infoEdit person's info
* Bookmark this Person
* Contact Ancestry members interested in this personContact Ancestry members interested in this person

* Family
* Source Records
* Family Facts

Family Groups
View alternate family members
Spouse Remove this family
Antonina Cutrara
Born: 29 Oct 1836 in Termini Immerese, Sicily
Died: Edit
Marriage: Add Marriage Information
Children Sex Birth
Giuseppe Rinella M 4 Jul 1869 in Termini Immerese, Sicily Edit
Fillippo A Rinella M 24 Apr 1872 in Termini Imerese, Sicily Edit
Maria A Rinella F 6 Nov 1874 in Termini Immerese, Sicily Edit
Antonino Rinella M 2 Feb 1876 in Termini Immerese, Sicily Edit
Add a child

Does this help at all?

I know Filippo could be Phillip, but Nunzio i"m unsure of.

still looking...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Matt,

On your other post, member "ricbru" (Riccardo), provided you with the LDS-Family History Center film information for the town of Caccano.

Did you not order any films?????
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Another thing, you should get Giuseppe's (Joseph) & Filippo's (Philip) death certificates. They may provide parent information, date of birth & place of birth.

Here is a link to the Cook County Clerk's office.

http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/vital_records.asp

And here is information for Williamson County.

LOCAL INFO
To order a copy of a birth, marriage, divorce, or death certificate, send a check for $7 per copy, along with the individual's name and the supposed date of the event. Note that many records, particularly birth and death records, were not filed until well into the 1900s. The state of Illinois did not legally require birth or death records until 1917. To obtain an official record from the County Clerk's office, send check and request to:

Williamson County Clerk
PO Box 1108
Marion, IL 62959
Telephone:
1-800-997-8680 x 106

Hope this helps.

jcsm
lovedr78

Post by lovedr78 »

Cool,

NUCCIA: First off, thank you, yeah that helps a lot. That's definatly the same Phillip, all the children match the records I have for him, except some new stuff like his birth dates and such. Only problem is the Giuseppe born in 1869. How common is it to have two children with the same name? Unless the birth dates are mixed up, (my great g-pa was born in 1889, could be a typo.) I looked it up on one world tree, but it doesn't have the contact information for whoever submited that tree. Do you know how I might get a hold of that person?

JCSM400: Thank you as well. To answer your question. No, I never ordered film. I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I don't know what to order or what I'd even be looking for. I'm just not sure what to do, and I'm on a limited budget so I don't want to spend money on something until I know what I'm doing with it. Could you tell me more about it, like what it is that i'm ordering (I know it's mircofilm, but I don't know what's on it) and really what I'm looking for, how I go about finding the film I need, (and if I'll need a person fluent in Italian to read it.)

I'll go to the court house sometime tomorrow if I can and look for Joseph's death cert. I'll see if I can get Phillips also.
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Lovedr78

It is quite common for a child to be given the name of a sibling who had died - especially where it was the name of a grandparent. Your Giuseppe's older brother who bore the same name probably died as a child. On the other hand - there is also a tradition in some families of giving many children the same first name - and then calling them by their middle name. In my family there is one branch where all of the men seem to be called Antonio, and separating out which brother fathered which children can be challenging to ay the least! Also with girls, many sisters in a family will all be called Maria after the Virgin, and then known by their middle name. But I would think that in your case Giuseppes older brother probably died. It might be worth looking for a death certificate. You might get more clues about the family from that

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if you want to know his parents names, you can request his birth certificate to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Umberto I, n. 78
90012 Caccamo (PA)
Italy

bye Riccardo
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

"JCSM400: Thank you as well. To answer your question. No, I never ordered film. I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I don't know what to order or what I'd even be looking for. I'm just not sure what to do, and I'm on a limited budget so I don't want to spend money on something until I know what I'm doing with it. Could you tell me more about it, like what it is that i'm ordering (I know it's mircofilm, but I don't know what's on it) and really what I'm looking for, how I go about finding the film I need, (and if I'll need a person fluent in Italian to read it.) "

Hi Matt,

The films are of the actual original records of births, marriages, & deaths recorded in the civil register.

NATI=BIRTHS
MORTI=DEATH
MATRIMONIO=MARRIAGES

So you would start with ordering the film that would include his birth act in 1889 or write the comune as suggested by Riccardo.

The Family History Center have word guides that you can buy (very reasonable) that has the Italian word & English translation, so you don't need to be fluent in Italian nor do you need a person who is! They may also have an Italian/English dictionary or you can buy one if needed. The are volunteers at your local FHC that are also very willing to help. Yours may even have one that is fluent or has done Italian research who can help you.

The main thing to remember is to always work backwards. It would be best if you had Giuseppe's parents names, so you are sure of tracing the correct family.

Hope this helps explain things better. If not, let us know.

jcsm :)
lovedr78

Post by lovedr78 »

I have Giuseppe's death cert. It lists Antonio Rinella as his father and
Catherine Barone as his mother. Okay so now what do I do?

Matt
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is the Italian word list, you can print it off.

This is page one, and by using the alphabet across the top of the page you can scroll thru the rest.......

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is an excellent outline by member Trish on how to use microfilm:

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:09 pm Post subject: Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone,

I want to explain the proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center (aka – Latter Day Saints)

1. You go to www.familysearch.org/E...t_fhlc.asp and click on place search and type in the town you are looking for. Click the word search.

2. A list of the results will show up. (Remember there can be more than one town especial with a Saint’s name – ex: Santa Caterina dello Ionio and Santa Caterina Albanese).

3. Click on the link. A new page will appear where it will state (Name of Town) and Civil Registration.

4. Click on that link and a new page will appear which states “Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910â€Â
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Matt,

Not sure if this was provided already, but this is the location for the Family History Center in Carbondale.

Carbondale Illinois
7168 Old Hwy 13 West
Carbondale, Jackson, Illinois, United States
Phone: 618-549-3034
Hours: T 9am-1pm; W 9am-8:30pm
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi in your Giuseppe Rinella ship's manifest the birthplace is CACCAMO town and no Termini Imerese... as also was born in Caccamo 2 Rinella, both emigrated and very interesting record: [url=http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... l&RF=41ÃÂ
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Tommaso Barone ( Caterina brother) making another travel in 1908 and the italian relative is Salvatore brother( also of Caterina) and joining to Lucia Solazzo(or similar) wife in USA...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lovedr78

Post by lovedr78 »

Suanj,

I've been checking the Barones and have found some of the children. I did a little digging and I think the name of the Cousin in Murphysboro on the manifest that lists Salvatore and Nunzio is Geo Prinzie. I found him and his borther Sam and a two other Prinzies, (not sure if they are related yet), living in Murphysboro (actually Somerset just outside of town, locals call it Little Italy) in 1900. I've found nothing on Salvatore or Nunzio after the manifests. I've checked with my family and they say the Giuseppe had a brother over here that got deported back to Italy. Does anyone know if records are kept for such things and if so what they would be called?

Matt