Newbie needing help. Genova Surname from Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gems4me

Newbie needing help. Genova Surname from Palermo

Postby gems4me » 29 May 2006, 03:36

I came across your site off of google. It is full of great information, but I would still like to ask a few questions.

I have the Ellis Island records, census records of 1920-1930, and the obits.

I have the information where my grandmother, Theresa Genova came in 1909 age 9 with her mother, Josephine Severino, brothers and sisters. Her dad, Pietro Genvoa came in 1906.

I have an Application for a Certificate of Arrival/Preliminary Form for Petition for Naturalization that shows my grandmother, Theresa, filled it out sometime in 1930's. My mother was born in 1937. I wonder did she really file this document since I have the original? If not, doesn't this makes mom an Italian citizen? How could I find out. My mom does not know.

Next question, on this certificate it gives my great-grandmother's name as Josephine Severino. This is the name she entered Ellis Island with. It shows on this certificate as well as the ship manifest last known residence Palermo. However, my great-grandfather Pietro Genvoa shows on the ship manifest last known residence Italy South.

This is where I come to stand still. How do I know what town to look for a marriage record as well as baptism records. I know my grandmother, Theresa, was born in 1899. The oldest child of 8 would have been born appx 1893. Wouldn't you assume then they would have been married sometime around 1891-1892?

I have tried every effort through Ancestry.com as google searches to find the answers, but this is as far as I get. I would appreciate any guidance on how to proceed to gather the information from Sciliy.

Thank you for your time.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Newbie needing help. Genova Surname from Palermo

Postby nuccia » 29 May 2006, 05:25

Hi,

Italy South is a general term used for those from Southern Italy. It could be someone from Palermo or from Calabria or Naples, etc. Older manifests weren't as specific as those found in the 1900's.

Hope this helps.
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

gems4me

Postby gems4me » 29 May 2006, 05:57

Is there a website available that would give me information on the older records in Palermo. I searched through the LDS site but could not come up with anything maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Is there an address you would recommend for me to send off for this birth certificate?

Would you suggest I ask for a marriage license from the same place even I could only guess on the year of marriage?

Thank you for your time.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 29 May 2006, 06:20

According to their son's, Salvatore, WWI Draft Registration Card, he was born in Palermo, Palermo, Sicily.

Link to the draft card>

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5889 ... aft1vm.jpg

Link to the LDS films (civil records 1820-1908) for Palermo>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... Palermo+++

Link to locate your local FHC>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

gems4me

Postby gems4me » 29 May 2006, 06:33

Thank you for the information!! Can you see the draft card? I clicked the link and couldn't see it. I don't understand what all that is. As I said, I have tried the LDS family center, but I can't find anything. I am so happy you found something.

I appreciate your time.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 29 May 2006, 07:54

Hi gems4me,

Sorry! I goofed on the link! :oops: Should be correct now.

Hope you can read it.

Also, when you say you "tried the LDS family center" do youe mean online?

jcsm

gems4me

Postby gems4me » 29 May 2006, 08:41

Yes, I see it now! :D

How and where did you find that information? I have been online using the LDS website, but with no luck.

I just signed today the trial version of ancestry.com to get the information I have now. What I really need is a marriage certificate of Pietro Genova and Giuesspa Severino and that will be somewhere in Itay South/Palermo.

If you have an idea of where to write I would appreciate it.

I can't believe in a matter minutes you found that draft card. I have been at this on and off for a year with little information.

Thank you lots.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 29 May 2006, 08:51

Hi gem4me,

The LDS website that you have been searxhing is only submitted information by LDS members. Very few Italian vital records are online.

The LDS has filmed vital records around the world. Above is a link to the films for Palermo and one to locate your local LDS-Family History Center.

You order the appropriete films @ the FHC for abt $5.50/5.75 & can view & copy records at the FHC.

Do you have the 1920 & 1930 census records for this family? The 1920 shows them living on Campbell St., same as address on the draft card.

Glad I could help.

jcsm

gems4me

Postby gems4me » 29 May 2006, 08:56

Yes I do have the cenus. What website did you find the draft card?

I am about 1 hour from one of research sites listed, so off I will go to look.

Thanks

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 29 May 2006, 09:27

Draft card is on ancestry. com.

Since you are an hour away from FHC, call first & ask if you can mail payment in. The films take abt. 4 weeks to come from SLC, Utah.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”