City of Caivano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

City of Caivano

Postby scorpione » 09 Jun 2006, 23:00

I am still hoping that somebody somewhere has some information on the town of Caivano 9 miles north of Naples.Since it gave me my name I feel I need to give it my attention. I would love to hear anything about it as all I have found is that it has about 30,000 people and exports industrial hemp.I have read one theory that its name came from Calvinium ,a wealthy Roman whose estate also bore that name.In time the name was applied to the whole area not just his estate. Still later it was transliterated into Calvanum.With the change from Latin to Italian it supposedly became Caivano.

Again,is there anybody who knows about the town or about some Caivano's who lived or are still living there. Thanks.

raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: City of Caivano

Postby raymo » 10 Jun 2006, 05:58

www.comune.caivano.na.it

This is the town's website. There's not much on it & it's all in Italian, but this is the town you're talking about, I believe, as it's in Naples province.

If you're interested in looking up relatives who may still be living in Caivano: www.paginebianche.it should be helpful

scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Re: City of Caivano

Postby scorpione » 10 Jun 2006, 07:37

Thanks,Raymo.I am aware of the site and you are right.There isn't much there ,but I read Italian well enough to understand.I'll check the white pages to see if any Caivano's are there today.Thanks again. Scorpione

Return to “Italian Genealogy”