Paulucci family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Paulucci family

Post by inejenn »

I am desperately trying to find out why my Italian ancestor came to England c1780. He was born c1760, Pietro Paulucci (spelling varies) and came to York as a Merchant Trader. He then moved to Newark in Nottinghamshire and married in 1783. I have located him on various census records etc up to his death in 1855, but I really want to know more about where he came from in Italy and why he came to York and what his occupation Merchant Trader was. All my lines of enquiry so far have drawn blanks so I am hoping someone on here can help me!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Paulucci family

Post by jcsm400 »

What records, other than the census records, have you gotten for him & his family? Without knowing the town of origin, you will not be able to trace him in Italy. Town of origin maybe listed on his death certificate, marriage certificate, children birth certicates & in church records.

Hope this helps & keep us posted.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Inejenn

What trade was he in? Tracing him will be very difficult because of the early date. Paolucci is not an uncommon name unfortunately. There are a few mentions of 'Paulucci's on the national archives website, but as you are so far back I expect you have probably seen them. I'll see what I can think of - but I hope that other forums members will have some better ideas than me!

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Ancestry has a Paulucci listing for UK County families. Can anyone see this. my subscrition has expired :cry:

Marisa xx
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Here is a distribution map of the surname......shows that the name is wide spread in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

jcsm
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Wow! Many thanks to all of you for responding so quickly to my question! I really want to know more about why Pietro Paulucci came to England and all I know is that he arrived in York in Yorkshire around 1780 and was listed as a Merchant Trader. I have been told he may have come from Florence but have no definite proof of this. In 1783 he married Lydia Rowbotham at Newark (this date is too early to obtain their marriage certificate I believe). Their children were William, Lydia, Charlotte, Peter, James, Ann, and John (John is my line). I have found Pietro on the 1841 census living in Sutton Bonnington, Notts, and his occupation is given as Grocer, and on the 1851 census he was aged 91 and his occupation was given as shopkeeper pauper. His wife Lydia died in 1812 and Pietro then remarried someone called Hannah. I have trawled through all the census records and the IGI records and cannot find anything about his time in York.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

mer·chant (mûr'chənt)
n.
One whose occupation is the **SPAM** purchase and retail sale of goods for profit.
One who runs a retail business; a shopkeeper.
adj.
Of or relating to merchants, merchandise, or commercial trade: a merchant guild.
Of or relating to the merchant marine: merchant ships.

He could have been dealing in everyday goods or foreign products (spices, silk, etc).

jcsm :)
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

The pauper bit is interesting. I don't really know a lot about English records, just Scottish stuff, but if he was a pauper then there may be an application for parish relief floating about somewhere. I would start by contacting the local library in the place he was living on the 1851 census and asking what records they hold concerning paupers. The best kind of ancestors to have when you are that far back are paupers and criminals :lol: They tend to leave more records behind them!! :wink:

Marisa
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Another point. Following Jcsm's definition of merchant - the same library may hold trades and merchants guild records. If your ancestor was an employer - which is definitely possible if he had a business - then there might be records about that too.

Marisa
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in 1841 England Census the birthyear is different...
Peter Paulucci abt 1771 birthplace city Nottinghamshire

what right.. 1760 or 1771?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Pietro had a son Peter. Also, on the 1841 census records the age was rounded up/down to the nearest 10 years. Thanks for your help. I am fairly certain Pietro was born c1760 as he came to England in 1780 and was married in 1783.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok however in Firenze churchrecords ( the main church of Firenze) I no found Pietro from 1758 at 1761 search, and so in 1771 year... the problem is the surname, because exist in Italy PaULucci and also PaOLucci.. also could be helpful to know the birthplaces of other Paulucci/Paolucci emigrated in UK..... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

I have checked all of the usual Scottish websites, and there is no mention of anyone with any variant of Paulucci at all. There are a few mentions on Geneanet - but not that many. The National Archives mentions a Cardinal Paulucci at the beginning of the 1700s, and there was a Paulucci going back to the mid 1600s who seemed to have been some kind of diplomat possibly from Venice. I don't know if that is of any help at all :?

Marisa
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Inejenn

There is a Peter Paulucci listed on one of the Rootsweb worldconnect trees living at the right time and place here - http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bi ... s&id=I1657 See what you think.

Marisa
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Many thanks for the information, I think the information from Rootsweb is the son of Pietro. I will check it out against my other material.