Military Personnel Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
baremore

Military Personnel Records

Postby baremore » 21 Jun 2006, 23:39

This is a first time effort in any forum, so please bear with me. I am trying to find out how to obtain the military personnel records of a career military officer. All Italian genealogical guides revolve around finding conscription or draft records. I'm looking for the records of an individual who was an officer starting in 1860 and rose to the rank of Major General by the time he retired. I've traced his record through the annual Italian Army Lists at the Library of Congress, but this shows nothing about his family or background. Just his place of assignments, date of rank, medals.

He definately was not a draftee who did his year or two of service in his province and then went home and his records forwarded to the province headqaurters. He served in several provinces over thirty years.

Is there a central repository for the personnel records of Italy's career soldiers?

Thanks!

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Military Personnel Records

Postby ricbru » 22 Jun 2006, 01:56

Hello baremore,
the central repository for personnel records who had a carrer as a military officer is:

Archivio Centrale di Stato di Roma

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... 20STATO%22

bye Riccardo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”