Newbie in trouble - just starting my Italian side>>>

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gouldc

Newbie in trouble - just starting my Italian side>>>

Postby gouldc » 23 Jun 2006, 12:55

basically, I'm based in South wales, with limited funds, and very little time!!

My maternal grandmother's side of the family come from Bardi, I believe from Casteleto (probably spelt completely wrong).

The family surname is Gambetta (Massimo being the gt gt grandfather, and Emilia the gt gt grandmother).

Now I have no idea where to start, as all the 1st generation who came here from Italy are deceased, so I have no idea's re birth, death, etc, other than my gt gran Maria Gambetta was born before WW1, and came to Wales at the start of WW2.

I know that she had at least one sister and brother who remained in Italy, but really have no idea where to start.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction??

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Re: Newbie in trouble - just starting my Italian side>>

Postby Marisa6 » 23 Jun 2006, 18:29

Hi Gouldc

I think you are probably best starting with your great grandmothers death certificate. That will tell you how old she was when she died - and so give you an estimated birth year. You know the name of the village she was from - so you will then need to write to the village with as much information as you can and request her birth lines, and her parents marriage lines. That should take you back another generation. Once you get back to around 1875ish then you will be able to order the Mormon microfiche for the town - (if it has been filmed!) - and that will hopefully get you back to the late 1700s.

If your ancestors came over after WW2 you will not pick them up on any UK censuses. The latest one to be opened to the public is 1901.

There are various websites that are very interesting for UK researchers with Italian ancestry. Start with the Anglo-Italian Family History Society at http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/docs/links.html The National Archives Family History page is also quite educational, and there is a catalogue that can be searched online - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/fami ... ources.htm

There is a big Italian community in South Wales. My ggg grandmother died in Cardiff Fever Hospital in 1875!

Happy hunting

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta

gouldc

Postby gouldc » 23 Jun 2006, 19:18

Thanks for that - next silly question - do you (or anyone??) know where and who I should write to in that area?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 23 Jun 2006, 19:59

gouldc wrote:basically, I'm based in South wales, with limited funds, and very little time!!

My maternal grandmother's side of the family come from Bardi, I believe from Casteleto (probably spelt completely wrong).

The family surname is Gambetta (Massimo being the gt gt grandfather, and Emilia the gt gt grandmother).

Now I have no idea where to start, as all the 1st generation who came here from Italy are deceased, so I have no idea's re birth, death, etc, other than my gt gran Maria Gambetta was born before WW1, and came to Wales at the start of WW2.

I know that she had at least one sister and brother who remained in Italy, but really have no idea where to start.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction??

For Massimo Gambetta, if you sure that came from bardi, you can write in Bardi civil records office:
by email anagrafe @ comune.bardi.pr.it NO SPACES

or by normal letter:

Servizi Demografici
Piazza Vittoria
43032 Bardi (PR)
Italy

it is necessary to know almost the probable birthyear of Massimo..
about Castelletto are 2 hamleth with this name both in parma province( the same province of Bardi).. the first is a hamleth of parma town and the second is a hamleth of Trecasali town,

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

gouldc

Postby gouldc » 23 Jun 2006, 21:50

thank you very much - I shall try and see what happens

Return to “Italian Genealogy”