Looking for any Petrarca from Fornelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MPetrarca

Looking for any Petrarca from Fornelli

Postby MPetrarca » 30 Jun 2006, 08:32

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for any information about the village of Fornelli in the Province of Isernia. I am greatly in need of a contact there. My Grand Father was born there in the 1920's and came to the United States in either the 1920's or early 1930's. A great-great-great Uncle of mine was one of the 5 killed by the Nazi's on October 4th 1942. Any help or direction I would be greatly thankful for.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for any Petrarca from Fornelli

Postby nuccia » 30 Jun 2006, 09:38

Here's the telephone listings for all the Fornelli's still living in Italy..

Fornelli

I am linking this article about the mass execution one person witnessed on Oct 5, 1942. I warn you though, I was literally sick when I read it. I have never before read an article where before I finished it, my stomach churned, my head spun and I was sick. Perhaps I am just overly sensitive. I would advise anyone who will read this to beware.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/t ... gineer.htm

Nuccia :( :( :( :(

MPetrarca

Postby MPetrarca » 30 Jun 2006, 09:57

Yes, I totally deserve the title Newbie. After reading my first attempt at a post for a second time, I see I was not doing very effective communication. Nuccia, I do wish to greatly thank you for the website, I was not having good luck at finding an online phone book. I will correct my errors and continue my search, and thank you all for the help.

Don't be so hard on yourself! We all have to start somewhere. When I first started searching last fall I hadn't a clue about anything but the members here were great..especially Maria who walked me through a lot of the posting process. Then by reading through posts I was able to pick up a lot of great info . We have a great team here and we're always willing to help.

let us know if you need anything else! :D

Nuccia :D :D

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 30 Jun 2006, 10:35

MPetrarca wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am looking for any information about the village of Fornelli in the Province of Isernia. I am greatly in need of a contact there. My Grand Father was born there in the 1920's and came to the United States in either the 1920's or early 1930's.

City info

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/094/021/index.html

maria

spilla

Postby spilla » 15 Jul 2006, 10:40

My parents are from Fornelli and I'll be there at the end of August; we're the Pilla family, and we know all of the Petrarcas there, as well as the many Petrarcas who now reside in New England (mainly in Providence and West Warwick, R.I.). There's a statue in the town piazza with the names of all the fallen WWII residents; I can check into it while I'm there if you like. My father was just a boy when the American and German troops took up residence in the town; my grandfather had been working for city hall and they witnessed the hanging of several townspeople for treason.

Fornelli now has some 3,000 residents. It is located in the Maynard Mountains (i mainardi) and is quite lovely. Isernia, the nearest metropolis (plenty of good shopping!) is just 10 minutes away. There are many, many Petrarcas in Fornelli.

Tomasso

Postby Tomasso » 16 Apr 2007, 23:43

MPetrarca wrote:Hello Everyone,
I am looking for any information about the village of Fornelli in the Province of Isernia. I am greatly in need of a contact there. My Grand Father was born there in the 1920's and came to the United States in either the 1920's or early 1930's. A great-great-great Uncle of mine was one of the 5 killed by the Nazi's on October 4th 1942. Any help or direction I would be greatly thankful for.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”