Help on obtaining microfilms at family center

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MaxIT

Help on obtaining microfilms at family center

Postby MaxIT » 21 Jul 2006, 01:02

I was to the family center owned by LDS churc in Pisa and the man (very kind) showed me the catalog.
Now there is a problem, he don't know how to require microfilms, because he required it by mail and now it is all electronic.
Could you provide me the procedure to request from a Family center the microfilms to the main center in Salt lake city.

Thanks in advance. You can write in italian, since I'm italian.

MaxIt

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Help on obtaining microfilms at family center

Postby mfjp » 21 Jul 2006, 01:49

I just put in a call to my family history center... just waiting to hear back.. maybe Friday morning...

You mean order microfilm electronically by computer?

www.familysearch.org

You can try calling a different family history center in Italy for information...

I will let you know what they tell me once he calls me back...

Maria

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 21 Jul 2006, 03:37

Hello MaxIt,
I was used to rent and see microfims to LDS church in Trento.
This guy used to fill up little applicatiion forms writing my name and address, number of microfilm and object of microfilm. It took about 100 days to receive the microfilm for the cost of € 1 each, to keep as much as I needed.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 21 Jul 2006, 04:40

Hi MaxIt,

Peter at my Family History Center just called to explain how he orders film to Salt Lake...

It is not through the internet.. but by modem... a direct link to their modem...... so it is done instantly.

He also told me that in the future, in about 10 years, we will be able to view digitized images instantly when you go to a FHC... and not have to view by microfilm...

Hope this helps some...

Saluti

Maria :P

MaxIT

Postby MaxIT » 26 Jul 2006, 00:38

Your suggestion are very useful.

I would try your tips and I will let you know if all is ok.

MaxIt

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 26 Jul 2006, 01:36

mfjp wrote:Hi MaxIt,

Peter at my Family History Center just called to explain how he orders film to Salt Lake...

It is not through the internet.. but by modem... a direct link to their modem...... so it is done instantly.

He also told me that in the future, in about 10 years, we will be able to view digitized images instantly when you go to a FHC... and not have to view by microfilm...

Hope this helps some...

Saluti

Hi Maria,

I've been told by my FHC that only the new filmings will be digitized & that LDS is talking about them being available on a pay site. They're talking about 8-10 years down the road for this!.......It would take decades :) :) :) :) for them to digitize everything they already have on film.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 26 Jul 2006, 01:49

jcsm400 wrote:
mfjp wrote:Hi MaxIt,

Hope this helps some...

Saluti

Hi Maria,

I've been told by my FHC that only the new filmings will be digitized & that LDS is talking about them being available on a pay site. They're talking about 8-10 years down the road for this!.......It would take decades :) :) :) :) for them to digitize everything they already have on film.

jcsm

The gentleman at my FHC said that "microfiche will be a thing of the past... " and I trust him... I certainly think it's the way to go...

Plus... I know there are ways of scanning existing film and converting them to jpeg files... and I don't think it will take decades to digitize everything...

There are scanners out there where you can simply slide the film through and the image is scanned frame per frame... doesn't take all that long to do.. I've seen it myself...

I think I'll still be alive by the time this get this done...
:P
Maria

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 26 Jul 2006, 05:15

Maria,

Hope you're right & hope you will be :!: :!: :!:

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”