Naming children

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Naming children

Post by joyse »

Having just received a reply from Italy with details of (hopefully) my great grandfathers parents, I notice the name of my great, great grandmother was not used by my great grandfather in the naming of any of his children.
Is this the usual form? Eldest son was named after his father which I understand is usual.

Any thoughts please?

Joy

:D
mler
Master
Master

Re: Naming children

Post by mler »

You're right, Joyse, that's generally the way it happens.

I'm the oldest in my own family, but I'm named after my maternal grandmother rather than my paternal grandmother. There was a bit of a rift between mom and grandma when I was born. That rift apparently healed because my younger sister is named after my paternal grandmother.

This kind of situation may be one possibility for the naming pattern in your family.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi mler

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear.

I am concerned that no-one is named after my great great grandmother.
I was wondering if that is the way things were or not?

Thanks

Joy
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

joyse wrote:Hi mler

Maybe I didn't make myself very clear.

I am concerned that no-one is named after my great great grandmother.
I was wondering if that is the way things were or not?

Thanks

Joy
I think mler was "clear".... and his answer was justified.

There could have been many reasons why no-one was named after your G2 Grandmother...

My aunt was not named after her maternal grandmother but after an aunt who died in an earthquake...

Her brother (my dad) was named after his father's stepfather who also happened to be a blood great uncle... (get this... my grandmother's father-in-law... was also her uncle... and her husband's stepfather... :? )

My sister and brother were both named after my father's parents... though they had unique names... too unique for American society...

My cousins ended up getting their middle names instead....

One great great uncle was a town priest who died young... a year or two later... many of my great uncles were named after him ....

There's a reason somewhere... my brother's unique name... ?? I had to research as far back as 1824 to finally get the answer I needed...

Maria
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Maria

You appear to think I was being rude to mler. I certainly wasn't but felt from the answer that maybe I hadn't asked the question very clearly.

What I was asking was this: I know that boys are often named after their grandfather - as has happened in my family. But does this happen with females as no-one in the family is named after my g.g.grandmother.

The reason for my asking the question is that if it is usual for names to be used then maybe I haven't found the correct next generation. Do you understand what I am saying?

Joy
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Joyce,

I understand what you are saying.... and you have the right to be puzzled about the name of your great, great grandmother not being used by your great grandfather in the naming of any of his children....

Maybe your G2 Grandmother's given name needs to be research further?

What type of document did you receive from Italy....(re your G2 Grandmother)...??

Was it just one document that you received about her??

My G3 Grandmother had many children... but the declarent used her middle name as her given name on a few documents.... (another research nightmare)...

Luckily I created a genealogy file of my entire town... and was able to catch and review errors / changes made on vital records...

Maria :P