Another "Godfrey" Name Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acman319
Rookie
Rookie

Another "Godfrey" Name Question

Postby acman319 » 17 Aug 2006, 08:54

Hi all. I noticed a post made by Richee about the surname Godfrey and I was interested in this because my mother's maiden name was Godfrey. I didn't want to take away from Richee's questions in his thread so I started this one so I could ask some of my own questions about the Godfrey surname.
My maternal grandfather, Howard Wilber (mabye Wilbur) Godfrey, was born March 5, 1925. I know he was orignially from Pennsylvania but I don't, and neither does my mother or other family members know much about where in Pennsylvania he was from or much about his family. He died in 1961 so my mother never really knew him. She was only 10 months old when he died so it's been hard for my family to reallly learn a lot about him since his wife (my grandmother) died in 1999. All that I have found on my grandfather is on the 1930 US Census record from Ancestry.com for Lockport, NY where I live and my mother grew up.
I have always wanted to find more information about my grandfather and his family that's somewhere in Pennsylvania or who knows where. After seeing that post from Richee about that his grandfather Godfrey was Italian and that Godfrey was Americanized from Italian made me wonder if my grandfather was Italian or not. I've always thought he was either English or German, especially being from Pennsylvania. If I can find out more information, I can really know my true ethnic makeup. (So far, all I know is that my father is 100% Italian and my mother is 50% Italian from her mother.) So if anybody can please help me with this, I would really really appreciate it. Thanks.
Ciao!

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Another "Godfrey" Name Question

Postby wldspirit » 17 Aug 2006, 09:47

This is where a paper trail comes in.......start with his death certificate, an obituary, even the cemetery records may contain info, and keep working your way back. Every document obtained will provide further clues........do you know the church they attended? records can also be obtained from this source.......
wldspirit

acman319
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Another "Godfrey" Name Question

Postby acman319 » 18 Aug 2006, 08:01

Unfortunately, since my grandfather died so long ago and now that my grandmother has since died, I don't know, and I don't know if my mother does either, where his death certificate would be. I have no clue, and neither does my mother or my aunt and uncle (his sister-in-law and brother-in-law) as to who his parents were. We only know their name from the 1930 US Census record. My aunt and uncle have only met his brother Francis Godfrey and we don't even know if he's alive or not. I also know that he served in World War II, so I might be able to get some information that way. Could anybody find a way to get a copy of his WWII draft card? So as you can see, this is a very complicated case here. I'll do what I can to get information but any more help would be great! Thanks again.
Ciao!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”