HELP... LOOKING FOR MY GRANDFATHER PIETRO D'AMBROSIO!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hazel

HELP... LOOKING FOR MY GRANDFATHER PIETRO D'AMBROSIO!!

Postby hazel » 20 Aug 2006, 04:06

My name is Hazel Anne Volkwyn and my family and I have been trying to trace our grandfather Pietro D'Ambrosio but do not know where to begin. At the moment we have a copy of his birth certificate which is in italian and very difficult to read because it is hand written and very old so some of the writing is not visible.

Pietro D'Ambrosio was born on the 8th of August 1913 and his father was Gelsomino D'Ambrosio and mother was Alfonsina Palladino e was from Salerno and faught as a soldier in world war II. He also was a prisoner of war in Gatooma in Southern Rhodesia. This is the only main information we have about him.

If anyone has any information that may help please we have tried everything and have been looking for many years. We would be most grateful for any information at all. We looking for anything an address or last address of where he may have lived. He also had 2 sisters we do not know their names any information about them would be greatly apreciated again. If you cant help us or may know someone who would be able to help us in our search please say. We'd like to know our family, and where they come from and if our grandfather has passed on we would like to visit his graveside and pay our respects and find out about the remaining family we may have. If anyone has any information please help us to find our grandfather. Thankyou god bless you.

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: HELP... LOOKING FOR MY GRANDFATHER PIETRO D'AMBROSI

Postby jcsm400 » 20 Aug 2006, 07:34

Hi Hazel,

You should be able to obtain his military record from the central archives in Italy.

Here is a link to their website.

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... O+STATO%22

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 20 Aug 2006, 21:38

Hi hazel,

jcsm400 gave you a great avenue to try.

You never mentioned if your relatives came to the US or Canada or in what year...the info may be difficult to find if it was after 1930 or so...and I don't see anything in the death index so far with his birthdate.

If Pietro did come to the US he would be about 93 now...there are a few Peters in the public telephone listings that I can send you via Private Message but remember, it would be hit and miss without knowing where he settled.

I'll wait for your response before sending..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 20 Aug 2006, 22:07

At the moment we have a copy of his birth certificate which is in italian and very difficult to read because it is hand written and very old so some of the writing is not visible.

Some of us are pretty good with reading script.. is there any way we could look at it?

I did some searching (last night) at the Australian archives (my Nonno was an Italian prisoner who was sent to do 5 years farm labour there)...

There are many D'Ambrosio's there if you conduct a surname search... even a Pietro... but the birth year is off...

I only searched as a "guest".....

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html

You are probably wondering why I've linked an Australian site... only because we've been able to find a few hard to find people here....
He also was a prisoner of war in Gatooma in Southern Rhodesia. This is the only main information we have about him.

And this is where he's never seen again? Was any mail sent to his wife?

What about the archives in Rhodesia... ? Any websites about Italian prisoners in Rhodesia? This is new to me ... and am thinking about this as I type...

hazel wrote:We'd like to know our family, and where they come from and if our grandfather has passed on we would like to visit his graveside and pay our respects and find out about the remaining family we may have. If anyone has any information please help us to find our grandfather. Thankyou god bless you.

I can relate... and I know how you feel... hope our forum can help you and your family.

Maria

Return to “Italian Genealogy”