Carrara and Moreno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pddqa

Carrara and Moreno

Postby pddqa » 25 Aug 2006, 06:29

Saluti tutti! I am looking for any potential leads on the origin of my Italian immigrant ancestors. My gg-grandmother was Maddalena Carrara, born ca 1843 in Italy, emigrated May 1871 and ended up in Milwaukee. I do not know for sure who my gg-grandfather was, but it could have been Giuseppe Moreno, b ca 1821 in Italy. Children born in Italy were Cristina, b ca 1869 and Luigi/Louis, b ca 1870 (my g-grandfather). Family lore tells Giuseppe either died or abandoned them and Maddalena remarried in 1876 to Domenico Baroni in Milwaukee. From that point forward there is no more Carrara family info. I am hoping to find any possible clues to her/their origin. All clues and ideas are welcome! Mille grazie!
Patrick in Seattle

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Carrara and Moreno

Postby jcsm400 » 25 Aug 2006, 09:11

Hi Patrick & welcome to the forum,

Do you have the 1880, 1900, 1910 censuses for this Baroni
family?

If no, we can provide links to the images.

What records have you gotten for Maddalina? Her marriage record to Domenico Baroni? Death certificate? Church records?

What about Louis? Do you have him on any census records? Marriage record? Death certificate? Can you provide more information on Louis? Who & when he married, childrens' names & birth years? When & where he died?

Hope to hear from you.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

pddqa

Re: Carrara and Moreno

Postby pddqa » 13 Nov 2007, 02:11

Hi JCSM:
It's been a long time since I posted my inquiry and you responded and I don't even know if I ever responded to you in the first place, but I found this note again and figured I'd respond again!

I have some of the info you asked about. I have Maddalena's marriage cert to Dominick Baroni. It states her parents' names but no birthplace. I have her death notice (no obit) but no birthplace. I am still looking for any kind of church record. I did find her grave in Milwaukee. As for Louis, I did find his marriage cert, and also his naturalization cert that actually lists him as Luigi Carrara!! That's odd because if that was his mother's maiden name, I'm not sure why he would've used that. That suggests that the name he was called when he entered the country was Carrara and he wanted to keep things straight by using the same surname, but again, why would he use his mother's maiden name? UNLESS, that was Maddalena's married name and every ref to her surname prior to Baroni was a ref to her previous married name...just not sure. I have not yet found a death cert for Louis. That'd be in Butte and I'm going to send for it, but I think it may not be there because he died the year they started records and so it could be just before (Apr) they did. I'm also going to check church/burial records for him.

So that's where I'm stuck.

I so wish I could figure out more about their history and especially where they came from in Italy.

Thanks
Patrick

Return to “Italian Genealogy”