Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
jfurlong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: FL

Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby jfurlong » 26 Aug 2006, 09:31

Hi :)

I'm new to this site but reading the posts has given me the impression that everyone is so helpful :) so I thought I'd post my search.

I am looking for any information on Frank Scarpelli.

I have the 1910 census information (incorrectly listed as "Frank Scotpalo") and all the other family member names match up to my information.

According to the 1910 census, he arrived in 1890 and in the 1910 census is still an Alien. Frank was born approximately 1885 and was a dyer's helper in the mills. They lived & worked in Paterson, NJ.

In the 1900 census the information is listed as Frank Scarpula with his brother Peter and sister-in-law Batista. There are MANY errors recorded in the 1900 census, but I know that Peter was his brother and Batista was Peter's wife. Since Batista (or Bortista as listed in the 1900 census) isn't so common, I'm presuming they are correct. The occupation listed for the brothers is also correct.

In the 1900 census the brothers are listed as coming over in 1892. I can find nothing on ellisisland.org to support an arrival between 1890 & 1892.

I am primarily trying to find his home town from Italy. I know he died before the 1920 census as Frank's wife (Marie) is listed as a widow. Family history has his date of death some time in May 1911 as a result of trying to break up a bar fight. I have not been able to corroborate this information either.

Any assistance provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby wldspirit » 26 Aug 2006, 09:47

Looks like a good match for Peter, however does not list any info for
town of origin........however, he is listed as naturalized. By applying for his naturalization you may be able to locate the town of origin.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/w ... rpelli.jpg

will see what else I can find.
wldspirit

User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby wldspirit » 26 Aug 2006, 10:37

Given his young age when coming over, good possibility he married in Patterson, New Jersey.....have you located marriage info? determined where the family attended church? The church will hold records on the family as well......obtained any records of his death?

I take it his brother led a longer life than Frank? Tracking the brother may lead to more US records.....and confirmation for the town of origin.
wldspirit

User avatar
jfurlong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: FL

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby jfurlong » 26 Aug 2006, 11:08

Thank you for the help and the ideas :)

Yes, Frank married in Paterson. All I know is the wife's first name, Mary. She's listed as a widow in the 1920 census and I believe she came over in 1901 or 1902. My grandfather was born in 1903.

Using Peter for leads is a great idea. I'm not sure how to go about finding naturalization records when I don't know what court they might have used.

And, I had a typo in my last post :( Frank was born sometime between 1875 & 1880. The 1900 census has 1875, the 1910 census has 1880.

Peter, the brother, definitely outlived Frank, as I have him in the 1920 census as well.

Once again, thank you for the ideas and help. I have been 'stuck' at this point for a while and I'm determined to get unstuck.

- Jill

User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby mfjp » 26 Aug 2006, 11:09

How about 1893??

jfurlong wrote:Hi :) ...

In the 1900 census the brothers are listed as coming over in 1892. I can find nothing on ellisisland.org to support an arrival between 1890 & 1892.

I am primarily trying to find his home town from Italy. I know he died before the 1920 census as Frank's wife (Marie) is listed as a widow. Family history has his date of death some time in May 1911 as a result of trying to break up a bar fight. I have not been able to corroborate this information either.

Any assistance provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks!


Travels with a brother Pasquale (off to NY) and a Raffaele Saccommano (from same town but headed off to Chicago....)

First Name: Fraancesco
Last Name: Scarpelli
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Rovito
Date of Arrival: Jun 29, 1893
Age at Arrival: 10y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0114

Scarpelli manifest of 1893

If this is your ancestor, the town of interest is Rovito

Link to Rovito town information

Just didn't realise how many Scarpelli's are out there...
I can't confirm anything at this point....
Maria

User avatar
jfurlong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: FL

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby jfurlong » 26 Aug 2006, 11:09

wldspirit wrote:Given his young age when coming over, good possibility he married in Patterson, New Jersey.....have you located marriage info? determined where the family attended church? The church will hold records on the family as well......obtained any records of his death?

I take it his brother led a longer life than Frank? Tracking the brother may lead to more US records.....and confirmation for the town of origin.
wldspirit


I haven't found any info on the marriage or the church, yet. I have the wife's social security number, so I am waiting on the info I get from the SSA to give me more of a clue in that regard.

Thanks!

User avatar
jfurlong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: FL

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby jfurlong » 26 Aug 2006, 11:12

mfjp wrote:How about 1893??

jfurlong wrote:Hi :) ...

In the 1900 census the brothers are listed as coming over in 1892. I can find nothing on ellisisland.org to support an arrival between 1890 & 1892.

I am primarily trying to find his home town from Italy. I know he died before the 1920 census as Frank's wife (Marie) is listed as a widow. Family history has his date of death some time in May 1911 as a result of trying to break up a bar fight. I have not been able to corroborate this information either.

Any assistance provided would be much appreciated.

Thanks!


Travels with a brother Pasquale (off to NY) and a Raffaele Saccommano (from same town but headed off to Chicago....)

First Name: Fraancesco
Last Name: Scarpelli
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Rovito
Date of Arrival: Jun 29, 1893
Age at Arrival: 10y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Weser
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0114

Scarpelli manifest of 1893

If this is your ancestor, the town of interest is Rovito

Link to Rovito town information

Just didn't realise how many Scarpelli's are out there...
I can't confirm anything at this point....
Maria


1893 *could* be possible as an immigration date, but that puts him 5-10 years younger than the census records have him at.

And yeah, I didn't think there were so many Scarpelli's out there either ;)

Thanks!

- Jill

User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby wldspirit » 26 Aug 2006, 12:34

Information and history on naturalization....

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/h ... NATREC.htm

if naturalized after the 1906 date, (you can use census on Peter to judge the time frame for this),
use this form to file a search for records,

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

Also, here are two great outlines of records available for New Jersey, many of them specific to Passaic county:

http://newark.rutgers.edu/~natalieb/gen.htm

http://www.rootsweb.com/~njpchsgc/

address for county clerk:

Passaic County Clerk
401 Grand Street, Room 130
Paterson, New Jersey
07505
(973) 225-3632

Their website:

http://www.passaiccountynj.org/

Catholic Diocese of Paterson:

http://www.patersondiocese.org/index.cfm

hope this helps.... :wink:
wldspirit

User avatar
greeneyes
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby greeneyes » 05 Sep 2006, 18:45

Hi!

I have been researching the Scarpelli family for a few years. I ony just found out that the family member is actually residing in Rovito. Do you have a tree put together? I would love to compare notes.. although seems you are on top!

Eva

User avatar
jfurlong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: FL

Re: Trying to find Scarpelli relatives

Postby jfurlong » 08 Sep 2006, 09:17

greeneyes wrote:Hi!

I have been researching the Scarpelli family for a few years. I ony just found out that the family member is actually residing in Rovito. Do you have a tree put together? I would love to compare notes.. although seems you are on top!

Eva


Hi Eva :)

I don't have a whole lot of information, but I'm happy to share the little I do have. I've sent you a PM if you'd like to contact me further.

- Jill


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests