Marano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
o0obrownieo0o

Marano

Postby o0obrownieo0o » 06 Sep 2006, 17:37

I'm new to this kind of forum way of finding information. My Nonna (Grandmother) is Angela Regina Marano, she had a brother Joseph (Giuseppe), and sisters Elizabeth and Mary Marano.
I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding any records of them and their family, as i am attempting to search back the family tree. I believe nonna was born in South Italy possibly Malta. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Rachel.

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Marano

Postby mfjp » 06 Sep 2006, 18:01

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Did any of your family enter the USA? If so, please provide year of birth (+-) for your family... and where they could have settled...

We may be able to find American records depending on time of entry...

If they went directly to Australia, please check this site...

Link to Australian Archives

(love this site... they helped me big time!)

Just do a record search in the Research field... (I usually search as a guest)

I got about 175 hits with just the name Marano...

Maria :P

o0obrownieo0o

Postby o0obrownieo0o » 06 Sep 2006, 18:41

My grandmother came to australia with her parents and family when she was two. This would have been about 1943. I believe she came on a boat and all i know is that they landed in australia, not sure where.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 06 Sep 2006, 20:03

Do you know who Angela Regina Marano's (b1941+-) parents were??

Can you get death certificates of her parents...?

Did any of Angela's aunts or uncles move to the USA? If so, we can research them here at this forum... and hopefully find the town of origin... which is a must for your future research. Please note that there are many Marano's from Italy... but from everywhere... :?

If anyone from your ancestral family came to the USA... say from.... 1940 and back... we might be able to find some kind of a record online...

Were you able to find any information from the Australian Archives site?

There's all kinds of finds for a Giuseppe Marano... did you check those?

Maria

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 06 Sep 2006, 21:05

Hi Rachel,

And again, welcome to the forum.

Have you talked to your nonna?.....From your post, it sounds like she is still living...... She may not remember anything about coming to Australia, but she may have some family documentation & family stories that she can share....My nonna came to the US with her birth & marriage record & I also have her passport.....Made it easy to find town of origin.

If she had children in Australia, would their birth records possibly show her town of birth? Her Australian marriage record may also provide this information.

Anyway, these are just some suggestions.....As Maria has said, we can also see if we can determine town of origin through family members who came to the US.

We're here to help, so keep us posted.

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.

o0obrownieo0o

Postby o0obrownieo0o » 07 Sep 2006, 14:23

Hi, thanks for your replies
i did lookon the site maria gave me but was unable to find anything. My Nonna has actually died, before i was born. The only members related to her that we know are alive is my mother, my mother's uncle and two aunties but we dont see them anymore.
None of them went to the U.S. She cam eon a boat about 1943 to Australia. Dont know much. About that.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 07 Sep 2006, 19:55

Can you contact the Australian archives and find out where to search for a 1943 boat record... surely if she was 2 or so when she came over... her parents should be on that record...

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/fa ... lists.html

Does anyone have a copy of your Nonna's death certificate? Would you happen to know where she is buried? You could contact the cemetery... maybe get the name of the Church she belonged to..

What about Citizenship... ?? Have you tried to get a copy of those records?

http://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/fa ... ation.html

Best to do your Australian-Italian family research first as in time you'll discover their town of origin, hopefully.

Maria

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 07 Sep 2006, 20:27

I agree with Maria, "best to do your Australian research first," & obtaining the records she has mentioned will hopefully provide town of origin, but you also may want to consider reconnecting with your great uncle & great aunts. They may surprise you with what they know!

Good luck with your research.

jcsm

o0obrownieo0o

Postby o0obrownieo0o » 17 Oct 2006, 08:21

Hi all!

I did visit all the sites recommended, found many links however came to dead ends. Unfortunately first names are posing a real problem at the moment. Another factor has made it hard to find my great grandparents or even grandparents as some italian families change last names from their parents when they marry. I'm also starting to think that the boat my nonna came to australia on was not actually recorded anywhere, or is extremely difficult to find. I don'd know the name of the boat either. : (.

If anyone knows or is related to a Marano, i would love to hear from you!

Thanks again o0obrownieo0o

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby jcsm400 » 17 Oct 2006, 13:30

Hi o0obrownieo0o & welcome back.

Does your member name mean anything?

Ok, the sites haven't helped, but how about new information from Australian records?

jcsm

Return to “Italian Genealogy”