I need help with a name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jillian0229

I need help with a name

Postby jillian0229 » 20 Sep 2006, 22:18

I am my mothers family's 5th generation and right now i'm trying to find out where my great great grandmother Mary came from... her husband was Frank Ranallo he changed his name from Francesco to Frank she is his 2nd wife (his first died when she came over with him) So I am trying to figure out what her name is... now i know her maiden name sounds like and i'm just sounding it out here...

Da Let Zio and i've found all sorts of spellings
Dalessio
Dalesio
Deliso
Dilessio

but I can't seem to find her and I know she came to buffalo from Ellis Island and she may have changed her name from Maria to Mary... but honestly no one in my family can remember how her maiden name is spelled or if she may have changed that name as well...

if you have any ideas how to properly spell her maiden name or any ideas of what it could have been changed from... please help me out I've reached a road block here...

Thank you :)

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: I need help with a name

Postby Essgee » 20 Sep 2006, 23:04

First........the name change is simply a translation of names from one language to another...you must always bear this in mind when looking for records of non-English speakers.

Secondly, the name could be D'Alessio or D'Alosio. There is a town called Vinchianturo where both the name D'Alessio and Ranallo existed. And in Campobasso and in L'Aquila, the name A'Alosio and Ranallo existed at the start of the last century. these are possibilities.

Found this as well: 1900 Census of Buffalo, Erie, NY

Ranallo, Frank, age 41, born Apr 1859, Italy, married 6 years.
---------, Elenora, age 28, born April of 1872, born Italy, married 6 years, had 3 children, 2 living
---------, Francesco, age 3, born Feb 1897, NY
---------, Amabile L., born Au 1899, age 9 months, born NY
---------, C???, born April 1865, boarder, born Italy, arrived 1899
Schillo, Raffael, born Feb 1875, arrived 1899

There is an arrival record fo Francesco Renallo, age 36, arriving NY on the Werra on June 18, 1895.

Is Elenora your GGgrandmother or was this the first wife? Did they remain in Buffalo or go somewhere else? Cannot find them in a later census.

Have you looked for death records or cemetery records or obituaries to see if they list place of origin? somethings they can be very helpful.

Give us any other info that might help locate the place of origin. Since she was married 6 years by 1900, good chance she came from the same town as Francesco...if this is the first wife, give us more info on the second...

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 20 Sep 2006, 23:08

Do you know when she came over? How about when Frank came?..this gives us a time frame. Have you tried D'Allessio yet? Do you know the town she from? Where did the family move exactly? All little clues which could help.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 20 Sep 2006, 23:10

Sorry Essgee...

Posted at the same time you did I guess! :oops:

nuccia

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 20 Sep 2006, 23:31

No problem Nuccia! The more the merrier!

I still can't find her in the Ellis Island records...even with the name Maria...so I think we need a bit more info.........

jillian0229

Postby jillian0229 » 20 Sep 2006, 23:33

Yes Elanor would be his first wife (if the information is correct) though i'm pretty sure they only had one child but i cant be sure but we couldnt find her either thank you!!! I think that is her because the francesco u found is my grandfather he came on the werra... but my gggrandmother was def a mary her death records say nothing about her original location just that she was born in italy and that she arrived in the buffalo area from ellis island in 1900 she was about 19 or 20 by then MUCH younger than Frank about 22 years younger.

they lived in buffalo where frank had bar in buffalo where he was actually kicked out of town by irish pub ownders (or so i've been told) and i'm not sure when elanor died and he married mary but i do know that he moved to leroy NY and then to Medina NY (where i am from) and sometime between leroy and medina he remarried and settled down.

so i'm not sure where mary came from either but she soon relocated to medina as well and they had 2 sons Sam and Leo; and 3 daughters Louise Ranallo, Beatrice (Ranallo)Carallo, and Elvira (Ranallo) Eppolito... my aunt louise never married.

Elvira married Frank Eppolito and had two children Johnny Eppolito and My Nona Clara (Eppolito) Anderson

ummm i have the dates of her and his deaths but not with me at the moment but they're burried in St. Mary's Cememtary in Medina which is where all my reletives are so that did make it easy to find them! however i still am not sure on Mary's maiden name and how to spell it but i will check out the ones you gave me... and i really dont know wehre she settled befor medina or where her or frank came from in italy i know my family is from the southern italy but the towns i'm not sure

jillian0229

Postby jillian0229 » 20 Sep 2006, 23:34

P.S. THANK YOU!!!!

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 20 Sep 2006, 23:44

Jillian......

You know, when the census was indexed the named was Elenora, but when I saw the page, it almost looked liked Elvira....looked at it closely but could not be sure. What I am saying is that Elenora is much younger then Frank...and Amabiles middle initial is "L"...could this be for Leonardo...LEO. I am still speculating that Elenora could be Elvira and that the name could have been Maria Elvira...etc.

Will still see if the census will reveal the answer.........back later...sure everyone one else is looking as well........

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 20 Sep 2006, 23:50

I found a 1880 census...they listed the head of the house as a partner in a saloon. Mentioned daughter Louise..I was going to post it and changed my mind. Now to find it again... :?

nuccia

jillian0229

Postby jillian0229 » 20 Sep 2006, 23:52

well he and "mary" had a daughter elvira... who married a frank! but.... maybe mary's real name is elvira or elanora as well...they did have 5 children so.... maybe that is them! let me know what you find thank you soooooo much!

EDIT!~!

AND I JUST REMEMBERD SOMETHING!!!

all my cousins and my mother even used to call Mary Grandma Duff.... could that be ne thing?

her middle initial was a J... sooo mary J. Ranallo

UPDATE!!!

okay what about this i foudn a
Ma. Giuseppe D'Alessio (Giuseppe could be the J maybe changed? and Ma could be Mary) Single 20 year old Female arrived April 25th 1901 (and that's befor her birthday which i think is in sept i dont have the date w/ me so she would sitll be 20) last residence Matrieze
traveld on the Liguria and is from Napoli says she's going to live with a brother francesco... i will ask my family if she had brother and sisters that they know of!

? what about that?

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 21 Sep 2006, 00:42

Found this:

Found them in 1920...Mary and Elanor are probably different people.

1920 Census, Shelby, Orleans, New York, ED 186

Ranallo, Frank, age 60, arrived 1872 (hard to read), naturalized 1894, born Italy
----------- Mary, age 40 arrived 1900, born Italy,
-----------, Elvira, age 17, bornNY
-----------, Samuel, age16, born NY
-----------, Leo, age 12, born NY
-----------, Louise, age 10, born NY
-----------, Beatrice, age 8, born NY

Still no luck for 1910...looked at the census for Orleans County for 1915...not there yet, so might be still in Buffalo

jillian0229

Postby jillian0229 » 21 Sep 2006, 00:57

thank you yea... that probably would have helped medina is in ridgeway and shelby and is in orleans county! haha

Return to “Italian Genealogy”