Pedace Family from Campo Calabro, Reggio Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GeorgiaGypsy

Pedace Family from Campo Calabro, Reggio Calabria

Postby GeorgiaGypsy » 21 Sep 2006, 23:15

Hello everyone!

I am just starting my journey into Italian genealogy. I am new to this forum, but not to research. I have found my family in Hungary and Slovakia back to the 1600 and 1700s; my husband's family in England and Germany back to the 1500s, and my niece's husband's family back to the Netherlands and France to the 1600s. Now I am starting my niece's dad's lines, and I am starting here.

The Pedace family line I am researching wound up in Norwich, New London County, Connecticut.

Vincenzo Pedace, born circa 1837, husband of Marianna D'Ascoli came to America at the ripe old age of 72.

He left his brother Felice's abode in Campo Calabro and went to join one of his sons, Bruno.

Bruno and Fortunato and Dominec and Fortuna and Maria had rather large families here in the States.

If anyone has any info to share on them, I'd be delighted to reciprocate. I will be ordering the Mormon films on the Campo Calabro civil registration tonight. If anyone has any other names I can look up, I'd be happy to oblige.

Thank ya'll!

Sandi, a GeorgiaGypsy :lol:

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Pedace Family from Campo Calabro, Reggio Calabria

Postby brujaojos » 22 Sep 2006, 02:01

Hi Sandi,

Are you looking for any census records or information on Bruno and his siblings here in the USA, or do you have that already?

Don't want to duplicate your work!!!

And Congrats on the research you've done!

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

GeorgiaGypsy

Postby GeorgiaGypsy » 22 Sep 2006, 04:18

Hi Trish! Thanks for the response. I have spent over 20 years working on these lines. And imagine my surprise when everything started to fall into place once I learned that my dad had changed his last name when he joined the Army in 1931. Imagine my surprise! No wonder I couldn't find anything on my family! hahaha.

Yes, I already have the census records and WWI and WWII draft registration information on Bruno and Fortunato and Dominec. I also have found their records on the Ellis Island Website, although Vincenzo's was tricky since his was one of the ones that was linked to one of the missing manifests.

I really look forward to my journey through the Italian records, etc. At least I can read Latin!

Take care!
Sandi, A GeorgiaGypsy
Genealogy, Life in the Past Lane

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 23 Sep 2006, 07:48

Dear Sandi,

The microfilm is in Italian, but if you know Latin, you should be able to get by. If you have questions about the translations, just ask!!! I'll be happy to help.

Keep us posted to how you make out with your research!!! I do wish you luck with it!

Trish

Trish

Professional & Certified Genealogist

Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services

Genealogy-Forum

GeorgiaGypsy

Postby GeorgiaGypsy » 28 Sep 2006, 22:15

Thanks for the offer of help, Trish! I can also read French and Spanish, so I know alot of the Italian I will be able to figure out, but some of the places names or dialect terms may throw me. I am really excited about this journey.

Have you ever been able to get any church records? I was sort of surprised to see that all the Mormons had were civil registrations. I wrote to all the ancestral villages in Hungary and Slovakia and was rewarded by most of the priests and their families with pictures of the church and one even went out and found a tombstone with the family surname on it. Wasn't anyone I could tie in, but I really appreciated the effort!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I will post my findings in case someone else is looking for these lines.

Have a great weekend!

Sandi, a GeorgiaGypsy

GeorgiaGypsy

Postby GeorgiaGypsy » 28 Sep 2006, 22:18

Thanks for the offer of help, Trish! I can also read French and Spanish, so I know alot of the Italian I will be able to figure out, but some of the places names or dialect terms may throw me. I am really excited about this journey.

Have you ever been able to get any church records? I was sort of surprised to see that all the Mormons had were civil registrations. I wrote to all the ancestral villages in Hungary and Slovakia and was rewarded by most of the priests and their families with pictures of the church and one even went out and found a tombstone with the family surname on it. Wasn't anyone I could tie in, but I really appreciated the effort!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I will post my findings in case someone else is looking for these lines.

Have a great weekend!

Sandi, a GeorgiaGypsy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”