What will i find?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

What will i find?

Postby sheronb » 04 Oct 2006, 21:01

Hi Guys, finally ive ordered 2 films for Sora,Lazio to find my great grandfather.

Now what i would like to know, is what can i find on this:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

to me, this looks like our BMDs here, just givng ref nos, for obtaining certs??or am i totally wrong, and will find much more info, like parents names??

Cheers!!

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: What will i find?

Postby Essgee » 04 Oct 2006, 23:07

If you ordered the birth records, you will find the name of your ancestor, the date of birth, the name of his parents, the age of his parents at the birth, the place where the event took place, the name of the mayor, the name of witnesses, and usually a reference to baptism--the church and date of baptism.

Different periods of time give more or less information. In earlier records, you are likely to get the name of the father and sometimes the name of his father. Same with the mother. For example, it would read Giuseppe di Domenico Mancini meaning Giuseppe Mancini son of Domenico Mancini. Sometimes it will read Giuseppe fu Domenico Mancini meaning Giuseppe Mancini son of Domenico Mancini who is dead when this event occurs.

Look to Trafford Cole's wonderful book, Italian Genealogical Records. Or Lynne Nelson's Discovering Your Italian Ancestors. Both give a great summation of the civil records and what is in them.

Death records include the witnesses, the name of deceased, age at death, the parents and if they are still living, the name of wife or husband, occupation.

Marriage records name, date of event, age of spouses, names of parents, etc. If the processetti, or the paperwork filled out in order to get married is researched, you will get a lot, particularly if the parent of the bride or groom is dead...they parents had to give permission so if they are dead, had to include their death records, the name of another to give permission., usually a grandparent, etc.

A lot in all of them. Use the date of birth and the age of the parents to get further back. Remember, the ages of parents are not always accurate. Sometimes just a ballpark figure. You must be flexible with the dates.

Good Luck

sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sheronb » 04 Oct 2006, 23:50

Hi Essgee, im looking for births, Guisepp Tuzzio, 1872c, and his father Amadio, i know his father because he came to uk too!! so i am hoping this makes it easier to find!!

I am at mo, taking Italian lessons, though i dont think this will be of help, unless asking c,e una banca vicini? helps!! lol

I just hope i am able to read it!!

Though it does seem like a lot of info!!Good!

Thank you!!

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 05 Oct 2006, 10:38

An Italian to English dictionary will help. Basically, look for the names to begin with.

Actually, the most difficult of all is dealing with the older script. It makes it more difficult. The "s" is written almost like an ""f". The number 5 also looks like an f but without the cross over in the middle, just the downward curve. So have patience and be persistant. I gave up at first, but went back and now it is so much easier.

Try and get a copy of one those books I mentioned at the library. They will help you get through it. If you have difficulty, post again here and someone is sure to help!

Good Luck.

sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sheronb » 05 Oct 2006, 20:25

thanks, am going to try to get one of those books, did ask in waterstoness today, but no joy, think ill try online!
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 05 Oct 2006, 20:49

Don't recall if I provided this for you already, but you will find this helpful, contains often found words in genealogical records:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

wldspirit :D

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 06 Oct 2006, 00:32

This is great! I did not know it existed...it is a real help.

sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sheronb » 06 Oct 2006, 01:24

wldspirit

Thats great!! but you know my Italian lessons must be paying off, i recognise some of them!!lol

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 06 Oct 2006, 10:52

I know lots of Italian words....but putting them into a sentence, that's another story!!!! :?

Glad you liked it Essgee!!!!!! I have to admit, I found it while exploring,
accidently........ :lol:
wldspirit

sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sheronb » 07 Oct 2006, 14:11

I have ordered the Lynne Nelson book of amazon for £9.14, including postage!! not bad price!!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”