Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jmarusso

Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia

Postby jmarusso » 07 Oct 2006, 22:23

Hi, Im looking for the genealogy of my family. My name is Jose Miguel Aragon Russo from Colombia.

I know my Great Grandfather was Miguel Russo, He migrate to Colombia with two brothers Vicente and other (I dont know his name) between 1917 and 1921. Miguel Russo was born approximately between 1889 and 1894.

Sorry but I have no more information.

If anybody knows anything about it will be real great, maybe from where they were (Provincia, City), moreless age of birth, where can I find his birth civil records, any thing...

Thanks

Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Russo brothers emigrate to Colombia

Postby Marco » 08 Oct 2006, 00:13

unfortunately Michele and Vincenzo Russo are both such common names even today that unless you have some more info there's no hope of finding anything. Just to show you the numbers today in the province of Napoli alone there are 94 Michele Russo and more than 200 Vincenzo Russo.
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?

jmarusso

Postby jmarusso » 08 Oct 2006, 05:04

Marco, thank you for your info.

Do you know from were are the Russo surname?, maybe with this I can search civil records by internet.

jmarusso

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 08 Oct 2006, 13:36

Were the brothers married in Columbia?
Perhaps if you locate marriage records on them it may reveal the town of origin.
Are there parish records to be found?
By pulling as much documentation as you can there in Columbia, you may discover additional clues to follow.
wldspirit

Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Marco » 08 Oct 2006, 13:38

The most common surname in Italy is Rossi (Reds), the southern Italiy variation is Russo which has the same meaning of Red in the southern italian dialects, although in Italian it means Russian. Why there are so many reds in Italy I don't really know ;) I think I read five or six different explanation which are probably all true. I don't think there's a single place of origin unfortunately. The only think I can say is that they were from southern Italy! Try and search any other information; wives? other relatives? There should be an immigration paper with the name of the parents of Michele? Any family legend?
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?

jmarusso

Postby jmarusso » 08 Oct 2006, 19:01

Ok, I will try to find the immigration paper, but any idea why emigrate to Colombia instead USA or Argentina, I mean Colombia should not be so interesting destiny in comparison with others countries.

Anyway I believe a few people must have as destiny Colombia, I dont know if I am wrong.

Wldspirit: Columbia is the same country that Colombia?

aabruno
Rookie
Rookie

Postby aabruno » 12 Oct 2006, 21:43

Today the Russo name can be found densely populated all over Italy. Look at the following web site and enter Russo in the Cognome field:

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Anthony

Return to “Italian Genealogy”