GIUFFRE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 16:58

Looking for info on my grandfather Leonardo Giuffre from Termini Imerese, Sicly. Born in April 13, 1907. Came to Canada in 1921 by himself on the Cretic that sailed from Napoli.
Thanks,
Dave

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:01

Wow it worked...okay to be more specific, I'm trying to find his birth certificate to find out what his parents names were and if he had any siblings.
He has on his manifest that his grandmother Giuffre/LaCavera was his nearest relative.
He came to and settled in Toronto.
Here's the manifest...
Dave

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:10

Dave

The manifest never came through. Here it is..

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 Recordinfo
about Leonardo Giuffre
Name: Leonardo Giuffre
Arrival Date: 27 Apr 1921
Age: 14 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Giuseppe Giuffre
Last Residence: Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 266

Will link in a minute.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:14

Hi Nuccia,

Thanks! You are amazing...that's it. I didn't realize he came to Boston. Very cool. I wonder if his "friend" Giuseppe is also his father...check this out.

. Matrimonio 21-Feb-1906 2014483 40 Giuffre, Giuseppe Giuffre, Leonardo LaCavera, Carmela Vazzana, Rosaria Vazzana, Pietro Calderone, Provvidenza .

Sorry about the format that came out. But i think this may be his father...

Thanks again! Let me know if you find anything else out. Like Siblings etc...
Dave

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:14

Hers the link..

Leonardo Manifest

nuccia

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:16

So he came to Ontario...Toronto right? Did he also die in Toronto? I live here and may be able to find something out for you.

I'm going to check the manifests for Giuseppe and see where he went to try and connect something.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:19

Let me break down what i previously posted...
I think this is my great-grandfather

. Matrimonio 21-Feb-1906
FILM # 2014483
AGE 40
NAME Giuffre, Giuseppe
GROOM"S FATHER Giuffre, Leonardo
GROOM's MOTHER LaCavera, Carmela
GROOM's SPOUSE SPOUSE Vazzana, Rosaria
Vazzana, Pietro
Calderone, Provvidenza .

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:23

nuccia wrote:So he came to Ontario...Toronto right? Did he also die in Toronto? I live here and may be able to find something out for you.

I'm going to check the manifests for Giuseppe and see where he went to try and connect something.

nuccia


Yes, he came to Ontario (Toronto) and passed away in Toronto. He died on November 14, 1994. His wife's name was Joesphine Jeffrey nee Martorino.
Where did you see any linking to Giuseppe on that manifest? I didn't see that...
Thanks,
Dave

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:24

Could be..

I also found this...can't connect the father and son yet he is also going to Toronto Ontario. Let me see if I can find one for Carmela.

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Giuffre
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Termini
Date of Arrival: Jun 10, 1901
Age at Arrival: 47y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Scotia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 5004090085

nuccia

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:26

I forgot to mention that his name was changed to Jeffrey when he came to Canada. Leonard Jeffrey would be on his death cert.

The funny thing is, none of my Aunts and Uncles knew exactly how his last name was spelled. They thought it was Guiffre, but if you look in the Italian White Pages in Sicily you won't find one on the site. You will find many Giuffres though.

I found all of this out form years of research...
Dave

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:28

DJay75 wrote:
nuccia wrote:So he came to Ontario...Toronto right? Did he also die in Toronto? I live here and may be able to find something out for you.

I'm going to check the manifests for Giuseppe and see where he went to try and connect something.

nuccia


Yes, he came to Ontario (Toronto) and passed away in Toronto. He died on November 14, 1994. His wife's name was Joesphine Jeffrey nee Martorino.
Where did you see any linking to Giuseppe on that manifest? I didn't see that...
Thanks,
Dave


I linked it..meaning I posted a copy of the manifest using an image hosting service...see the blue that says Leonardo Manifest? Click on it and you can view the manifest. I viewed it through ancestry.com which is a paid for site. In order for others to view it I had to link it unless they have a subscription to ancestry.

Here it is again..

Link to Leonardo Manifest

nuccia

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:30

I wonder if Giuseppe may have gone back home or something...interesting...
DJ

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby nuccia » 18 Oct 2006, 17:31

Funny..I figured the name changed. Have you seen these listings for Guiffre?

View Record Joseph Giuffre Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1858 Italy Head
View Record Mary Giuffre Joseph Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1875 Italy Wife
View Record Joseph Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1894 Italy Son
View Record Rosey Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1898 Italy Daughter
View Record Augestia Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1900 Italy Son
View Record Samuel Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1907 Ontario Son
View Record Mary Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1908 Ontario Daughter
View Record Janner Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1910 Ontario Daughter

All in Toronto and all appear in the 1911 Census. If you like I link the image for you to view.

Now, back to looking for Carmela.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:32

nuccia wrote:
DJay75 wrote:
nuccia wrote:So he came to Ontario...Toronto right? Did he also die in Toronto? I live here and may be able to find something out for you.

I'm going to check the manifests for Giuseppe and see where he went to try and connect something.

nuccia


Yes, he came to Ontario (Toronto) and passed away in Toronto. He died on November 14, 1994. His wife's name was Joesphine Jeffrey nee Martorino.
Where did you see any linking to Giuseppe on that manifest? I didn't see that...
Thanks,
Dave


I linked it..meaning I posted a copy of the manifest using an image hosting service...see the blue that says Leonardo Manifest? Click on it and you can view the manifest. I viewed it through ancestry.com which is a paid for site. In order for others to view it I had to link it unless they have a subscription to ancestry.

Here it is again..

Link to Leonardo Manifest

nuccia


Sorry, i meant where did you see this...
Friend's Name: Giuseppe Giuffre

Thanks again,
DJ

User avatar
DJay75
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 52
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 00:00

Re: GIUFFRE

Postby DJay75 » 18 Oct 2006, 17:35

nuccia wrote:Funny..I figured the name changed. Have you seen these listings for Guiffre?

View Record Joseph Giuffre Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1858 Italy Head
View Record Mary Giuffre Joseph Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1875 Italy Wife
View Record Joseph Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1894 Italy Son
View Record Rosey Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1898 Italy Daughter
View Record Augestia Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1900 Italy Son
View Record Samuel Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1907 Ontario Son
View Record Mary Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1908 Ontario Daughter
View Record Janner Giuffre Joseph,
Mary Ontario, Toronto West, Ward 5 1910 Ontario Daughter

All in Toronto and all appear in the 1911 Census. If you like I link the image for you to view.

Now, back to looking for Carmela.

nuccia


Thanks! That would be great...what about info on my grandfather's possible mother "Vazzana, Rosaria"?

These are wild stabs mind you...
Dave


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests